Chapter 41: Polish Your Armour, Prince Charming

Start from the beginning

Her eyes narrow and she raises an eyebrow but gives me a small nod.

"That ought to get Sally Timberlake out of your hair." Samantha commented drily looking at the editor as she was headed towards Natalie's table,"Natalie on the other hand is going to kill you."

I shrug turning my attention back towards my lunch,"No way is she going to be able to catch me in those heels."

"Yeah but I'm pretty sure she's had practice throwing them." Rebecca says laughing at the crowd gathered at Natalie's table,"You are getting screwed."

"So might as well enjoy it while it lasts," I say. I'm about to say something but my eye catches a flash of a certain blonde haired boy and I know it's my time to get out of here.

"I need to go help the committee set up for the Valentines Day ball." I say quickly getting up,"See you later?"

I don't wait for an answer as I dump my tray and run out to the hall.

Please, please let me make it.

"Hi." Alec says cutting in front of me and I stop in my tracks knowing that I was more or less trapped. I glance around here and there

I give him a small strained smile,"Hi. I'm in a hurry actually the valentines day ball, I'm on the committee..."

I trail off and his smile fades a bit but he nods,"How about I walk with you."

Oh god please no.

But I give him a curt nod,"Sure."

It's awkward at first mainly because all I want to do is run away from him. Run away from the fact that he's a reminder of every mistake I made.

Stop thinking about it, Clara.

"So that was some show, huh?"Alec comments nonchalantly and I flinch thinking about how I must have looked to him. Maybe that's what Alec's MO go after the biggest bitch.

"That was a nasty rumour you just set out."

I clench my fist heading towards my locker,"They maybe nasty but all of them are true.Besides Natalie loves being the center of attention and Sally finally has something to write about so everybody is happy."

"But you're not, are you?" He says and I freeze,"I'm fine."

"Stop lying." He says,"You should know better than assuming that I'll believe you. I've known you for a long-"

"I know." I say harshly,"And I'm saying its fine."

"You have a tell." He says looking at me scanning my face,"Over the years I've noticed that whenever you lie, you have a tell."

I turn my attention towards him finally but the minute I look at him a wave of guilt, regret and everything in-between overwhelms me and I quickly look away.

"Stop lying to me, Clara." He says coming closer to me and everything in my body screams, RUN!

"I need to go." I mutter shutting my locker as quickly as possible and walking away in the other direction.

"Why won't you talk to me?" He asks and I stop,"You've been avoiding me-"

"Fine." I say turning around,"Let's talk. Let's talk about how I made the stupidest decision in my life. Let's talk about how Iooking at you reminds me of how I broke your heart, of all the mistakes I made. Of the person I've become and the person I was. Looking at you reminds of everything I've lied about and everything I'm not-"

I break off realising what I had almost let slip and immediately shut up.

I look at him for a moment biting my lip. He holds my gaze with an almost determined expression and his face is unreadable.