Chapter 30: Certifiably Crazy but Fun

"Where were you all day?" My mother asks when I step in.

"I was with Rebecca." I say telling part of the truth.

"Not with Jake?" She says.

"I met him but he had to go." I say,"Don't worry I didn't do anything and I am standing in front of you and it's before nine thirty."

"We have to go to a Christmas dinner tomorrow."

I face palm myself realising I forgot about Christmas completely. I had forgotten to buy any presents.

Okay tomorrow morning I absolutely have to go and buy the presents.

What do I have give my mom? A thank you mug for being the best mother?

How ironic yet fittingly appropriate.

"It's with the Hendersons and the Evans." She says and I wince slightly.Being in New York had at least prevented me from handling Alec and Jake at one go.

Wait what do I get Alec? For the past few years every Christmas I always gifted him a watch. He somehow always managed to break his watch before Christmas and it had been like a tradition for me to a buy a new one.

"Clara are you listening to me?" She snaps and I break out of my thoughts.

"What?" I say.

"I need you to help me cook tomorrow because I am making a pie for tomorrow." she says.

"What about Michella?" I ask.

"She makes the chocolate sauce." My mother says somewhat proud.

Even I can make a chocolate sauce. Just dump a bunch of Nutella into a bowl and voila.

Homemade Chocolate sauce.

I simply nod dejectedly. She has never seen me cook and the minute she does I know she will personally kick me out so I am not worried.

I almost collapse on my bed from more or less exhaustion. It wasn't like I had even done anything exhausting but today had been a long day and I needed sleep but of course as luck would have it my sister had decided to grace me with her presence tonight.

"Not sleeping over at Alec's today?" I say drily and Michella gives me a slightly surprised look and I can't really blame her. After all in the morning I had almost thrown up after she had announced it and now I was more or less making fun of it.

I guess it was because I had other things on my mind. Bigger things.

That's new. Bigger things than Alec.

I take a long shower enjoying the hot water and come out feeling extremely fresh. Michella has gone back to her usual state of ignorance that I am used to.

I don't mind though. This is the relationship my sister and I had. This was what I was used to.

I settle into my bed trying to get comfortable as I try to sleep. I think about whatever Rebecca said to me today. She was right, about most of it.

I am falling for Jake Henderson.

Who saw that coming?

In camp Jake was a different person. I was a different person too in a way. What Jake did in camp was four years ago. I didn't hold grudges very often and for some reason when Jake had read my diary out loud it hadn't really effected me as much as the kiss had. Especially when I had found out it was part of some stupid bet he had constructed.

I mentally groan. Today had been an extremely confusing day. From Michella's revelation to Alec's apology to Jake's simple kiss that held so many questions. And the story that I had told. It seemed like someone else's story not mine.