"Yes, pup, but please be careful. War is on the horizon," Cain warned.

Aren't your borders secured? I asked.

"Yes, but we still haven't found whoever tried poisoning you, and who knows how they snuck on to our territory. I will let the patrol guards and Jax know that you'll be wandering so they can keep an eye out for you," I nodded as Cain spoke. I began to understand that most of his controlling behavior stemmed from him being worried that someone would kill me. As I began to show my capability, he started trusting me more on my own, only leaving me with one guard, typically Carter.

"I'll see you at the ceremony, pup. Please behave," He placed a chaste kiss on my lips before leaving.

I sighed, debating on going back to sleep, until ultimately deciding to just get my lazy ass out of bed. I got dressed in black leggings, a black long sleeve shirt, and black boots, since Carter and I were going to go walk through the snowy woods. I had come to love the winter that enveloped Blood Lake.

Finally, I threw on my new cloak, fastening it under my chin so it wouldn't fall off.

I headed downstairs, where Carter was already waiting. Where's Gwen? I asked him. Typically she spent her mornings with us, meaning that we both spent our morning antagonizing Carter and thinking of new ways to give him a heart attack.

"She's helping set up stuff for the ceremony tonight. She begged to be the one allowed to dress you and do your makeup," Carter informed me.

Oh, no. I was genuinely fearful of whatever she was planning. She had been begging me to let her give me a makeover for weeks, which I strongly declined every time, much to her dismay. I love her, but her tastes are far too girly for me.

"She'd kill you if she saw that sour look you just gave," Carter laughed, and I joined in, knowing he was right. Our trio had gotten extremely close, and I felt the security of a family.

How's life as a father treating you? I asked Carter as we stepped into the cold. I pulled the cloak tighter around me, thankful for the warmth. Carter had also bulked up and let his facial hair grow out, so I doubt he felt the cold as harshly as I did.

"I hardly sleep, I have to change diapers every day, and I constantly listen to cries," He began, making me snort. "And yet, it's the happiest I've ever been."

Sounds awful, I honestly replied. Why anyone would want to deal with that is beyond me.

"You couldn't be more wrong, Luna. Lily and Rose are my entire reason for living. Every day I spend with them is the best day of my life," He said wistfully.

I scoffed and bumped my shoulder into him. You know how corny that sounds, right?

Carter shrugged, unbothered by my crude statements. "You will understand when you have pups. Lily filled a gap in my heart I didn't know I had."

I rolled my eyes at how sentimental he had been since becoming a father. I wondered if Cain and I ever had pups, if he would be that emotional over it. I doubted it.

We continued walking deeper into the woods, stopping occasionally to throw snowballs at each other or playfully spar.

Suddenly, I heard a twig crunch to my right. Carter instantly dropped all hints of playfulness and his expression was serious.

We both turned to the sound of the noise, but didn't see anything.

"We should get back, Luna. I don't have a good feeling about-" His voice was interrupted by the sound of footfall approaching us.