Chapter 15: A brief moment

Start from the beginning

"And what do you want? To kiss your boots for that?" 

"A simple thank you for saving your pelts should be enough," Phantom deadpanned. "But that's not why I have decided to join your little chat."

"Really now? Well then, lad, explain yourself."

His commanding tone did not bid well with the half ghost. But the young man continued.

"Why do you think you are better than Thalmor?" 

A laughter followed. But certain people realized that the Jarl was actually trapped.

"Because we are not the spoiled bastards who think they are superior to everyone. They take our faith, homes, wealth..."

"Hm...and you in return think that you are superior to the mages. And, as I can see, elves as well."

"It is different, we are responding to their assaults."

"I am not even an Altmer," Savos said dryly. "And Morrowind never supported their Dominion. You just need the reason to hate all of us."

"Enough! Be happy that you are not the Imperial spies. Because you certainly sound like ones."

"Yeah, yeah. Threaten us because of your loss of the argument." 

The Jarl glared at him, before glancing at his guards. 

"Smart mouth, aren't you, lad?"

"Yes," Danny grinned, while his companions facepalmed. They were going to be left without food.

The guards made a step forward, but their weapons were immediately reduced to dust, much to everyone's shock and fright. Danny himself didn't expect this to really happen. Another testament to what he had been deprived of.

"We will leave by ourselves, Jarl," Phantom said calmly. "No need to sacrifice your soldiers for this. Savos, I think you should go to the College now. You have done what you could."

Danny heavily emphasized that part, but the meaning was still misunderstood by many. The old elf got the point, however. He nodded and went off, thankfully the people let him do that. Phantom meanwhile looked at the Jarl.

"You Stormcloaks really make it very tempting to help the Empire. Think it over and if you lose, realise what led to your defeat."

The man was now thinking over doing something else. The lad was more powerful than he seemed. Danny meanwhile turned around.

"We will simply eat and be on our way to stop this fragile world from being ended," he said nonchalantly. "Hopefully you won't do anything stupid in the process."

As he came up to his companions, they continued their way to the inn. 

"What a prick," Danny muttered.

"You tell me," Serana agreed. "You are not seriously going to get involved in this war?"

Danny snorted. "The King of Oblivion fighting here? Although it sure will be a legendary battle, I cannot get involved like that. I can't get to my domain myself, Ser. It is only me, without an army of immortal skeletons. Only my now second in command."

"It won't do much for the Empire's reputation," Dave added. "No one likes daedra. And to get a help from one? The Church and other races will be furious. Well, maybe not dunmers."

"What about the Emperor?" Danny suddenly asked. "You have mentioned his death..."

"Titus Mede II, killed on his own ship by the hands of the Dark Brotherhood. While you two got busy, I got the latest issue of the Black Horse Courier."