Chapter 9 | John

If I had exercised my ability, I would be way past an eight.  I was quite surprised when I realised just how far I could go. I should start training.

Releasing a chuckle, I poked the dumbfounded Cecile in the shoulder, "So, what's yours?", I asked curiously.

"A measly 5.2.", she answered, disappointed in herself. I was quite impressed. High tiers are rare, Cecile just doesn't particularly stand out compared to our peers. Maybe I can change that.

"Hey, do you want to train together?", I asked her.

She laughed, "Oh please, you'd destroy me."

Smirking I said, "I'll  go easy on you, consider it a 'difficulty setting', like in video games.", that caught her interest, "As you get stronger, the stronger your opponent will be."

Drinking her tea, her eyes glistened with excitement. However, they quickly became gloomy, she asked, "Then you won't improve.", looking up at me.

Her worry made me feel warm inside. She's questioning whether I benefit from this? "Then you better improve quickly.", I answered nonchalantly leaning back into my seat. I could see a sweet smile spread across the cyanette's face. In response, I smiled as well.

After finishing my boba, I placed the empty cup on the table. Cecile did the same, her cup empty. I asked a passing waitress for the cheque, paying for both Cecile and myself. , "When do you want to start?", I asked.

"How about after school today? We should probably head back to school now."

"Sure Miss Star pupil.", I teased, she pushed me playfully. We started to leave the store.

"Speaking of," Cecile said as I was opening the door for her, "How are you doing academically?"

Oh no. I put my head down shamefully, "I-it's ok.", I said trying to hide the obvious, scratching my chin. But Cecile was not buying it. She even gave me the 'I'm-disappointed-in-your-lying-skill' look, which isn't one I get often.

"Yeah sure, what's your grade average?", she inquired, looking me dead in the eye.

"uhhh. a C minus.", I answered shakily. I swear I saw a vein pop on the forehead.

"Are you kidding me, John!!", she hollered flapping her arms around manically," What the hell are we doing skipping class?!?"

"Calm down, I don't care about my grades.", I assured her.

"No kidding, Sherlock! We're studying after school today." , Cecile said sternly.

"But our training!!!", I whined desperately.

"I don't care. Get your priorities straight.", she huffed

Wow, bossy. Cute. But she was still making me study, so the war is still ongoing.

"Look, Cecile, I don't really want to associate you with something as boring as studying.", I said

She chuckled," Don't worry! Soon enough you'll associate me with A's and B's.", she gave me a satisfied glance.

My first A and A-minus. That's when Seraphina and I became friends. I was lost in thought again. No stop. It's over now. Focus! I snapped at myself.

"If you say so, Cecile.", I said smiling at her.

Taken aback, she said, "I didn't expect to convince you so easily."

"I'm a man full of surprises.", I shrugged as we entered school grounds.

Time for some new memories.