Chapter 8 | Cecile

A tornado of colours swirled through the streets, keeping everyone in motion. This was the chaos of everyday life. Hundreds of regular people bustling as they tried to get to their destinations. I've always enjoyed people-watching, seeing the unordinary of the ordinary, that's why I joined the school press. To point out the beauty of today. Then Arlo came and ruined everything.

Trying to erase any thought of that vile human, I looked over to my King. John was clearly in deep thought, he had a menacing yet hurt expression. It's probably Seraphina again. I huffed in defeat, I'll never be good enough for John, she meant too much to him. But that didn't stop me from trying, I may not have been his best friend, and who knows what else, but he needed to lean on someone. I was willing.

Gently, I stroked his knuckles, pulling him back to the physical of reality. For a brief moment, he seemed confused as to what was happening. But after catching my eye, a warm smile stretched across his face.

For once, he looked so genuine, like he was all in with all cards shown. I wasn't used to this, quite sad, thinking about it.

Then, the ravenette pointed out that we don't know much about each other. I couldn't help but agree, I really didn't know much about him, aside from his history, curtsey of Isen's cowardice. But all I knew was what was down on paper, I wanted to know him.

John sighed, looking me in the eyes, brightly, he said, "How about some ice breakers then?"

Our drinks arrived.

"Sure," , I nodded, sipping my tea, "What do you suggest."

"Let's start with the basics.", he said after taking a swing of his boba, "What's your favourite colour?"

I chuckled. But he looked serious.
"You're not kidding?", I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Just answer the question.", he said sassily, resting his chin on his hand, while toying with his straw with the other. Glittering, his golden eyes peered into the most inner depths of my soul. The pressure was suffocating.

" ermm, mustard yellow. ", I answered, a little uncomfortable. Then, at the snap of his fingers, John changed the atmosphere completely. He smirked, " Like my eyes then?", he teased battering his eyelashes like a damsel. I stiffled a laugh,"Don't flatter yourself. Besides, your eyes look nothing like mustard."

John predended to look offended, " Their close enough. " ,he said, saltily sipping his beverage.

"I didn't realise having condiment coloured eyes was so desirable.", I said snarkily.

" Well duh! I present the height of fashion. ", he commented with a posh accent. To which I burst out laughing, I couldn't hold it it was too ironic.
" Says the guy who was running around with a paper bag over his head!", I squeaked, trying to catch a breath. The fashonista laughed, "Good point!"

We tried to get a grasp on our composure, after a good few moments we finally managed it. Gulping down most of our teas.

"So,", I began,"what's your favourite colour?", I asked smirking.

Clearing his throat, John said," Black. Like my soul. "

"Oh wow. EdGy.", I said rolling my eyes.

" Hon, I'm so edgy you'll get a paper cut from standing next to me.", he grinned smugly.

I face palmed the cringe was too much.

After a second or two of quiet, I asked, "So John, what's your Current level? I never asked.", taking another sip on my chai.

" Well, I actually had it checked quite recently, ", he an answered, scratching the back of his neck," it's 7.9."

I choked on my tea, coughing.
"Oh geez! Cecile, you OK?!", he called, quickly getting up and patting my back. After my fit,"I'm fine.", I croaked, my throat throbbing.

" Phew!", John said sitting down, "that was scary."

Ignoring his concern I said, " How can it be that high?!"

He raised and eyebrow, " It isn't really.", he answered, sighing, " If I had actually worked on my ability, instead of hiding it, I would be way past an 8 by now."

Gosh. I forget how powerful he is. Moreover, how powerful he can become.