Chapter 5 | John

The cyanette and I walked through the deserted corridor. It was pleasant, honestly, it was nice to get caught up in the thrill of today. A small smile made it's way across my face. It's not every day I get to do... whatever I just did. Warmth spread through my body, it felt almost euphoric after the break I had. Whatever happened that I just wanted to escape this fine reality? I thought, under the spell of ignorant bliss. Sera...  Hating myself for daring to let the thought of her slip my mind, I let an overwhelming wave of guilt and shame engulf me. I could feel myself drowning in it, my breaths becoming shallower. I deserve it.

Unexpectedly, a small hand was put on my shoulder, making me shudder.

"John, are you feeling alright?", Cecile asked me.

Taken by surprise, I was jolted back into 'the now', "Ugh-  Y-yeah. I'm fine.", I finally answered. I looked at her; her short hair framing her rounded face, her lips still red from a few minutes ago and her dazzling eyes looked... sad. Is it because of me? Did I do something wrong? Probably. Did she not like the kisses? She seemed fine earlier. I debated with myself.

Cecile kept walking, intensely staring down at the ground in front of her. "Cecile wait!", I called, nervous.

"huh?", she answered, turning back to face me. But, still peering into the scratched-up tiles of the hall.

Hesitantly, I took a step towards her. Placing my fingers beneath her chin, lifting it slightly. She grabbed my wrist firmly, ripping my hand away from her face. "I'm not your toy!", She yelled, fury in her eyes, which now met mine.

Turning away, Cecile quickly made her way into another hall.  A very busy one at that. Nevertheless, I chased after her, grabbing her hand and, forcefully swinging her back in my direction. " Wait, Cecile, what do you mean? I would never-", I began saying, holding her tightly.

" Are you telling me that the reason you kissed me wasn't that you miss Seraphina?", She hollered in my face. I was astonished, was that the reason? It was. How could I be so cruel? Why am I still surprised? I'm a bad person.

Once again, I looked at the fuming girl, sadness embedded in the depths of her pupils. I didn't know what to say.

Then, something, or someone, caught my eye. A magenta-haired girl, her sky blue eyes piercing my soul. Why does she have to be here? But right now it didn't matter, I had my priorities.  Promptly, I pulled Celice close to me. Putting my hand on her head, patting it soothingly. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean for this to happen. But I would never consider you a replacement for Seraphina. I won't disrespect you like that.", I whispered I felt her tremble in my arms as she returned my embrace, burying her face in my chest.

I glanced back at Sera, she gave me a look of satisfaction. Anger bubbled inside of me. How dare she?  I can't believe I spent so much time feeling guilty? She's just as bad as the rest of them.

I gave Cecile a kiss on the forehead. Whispers swarmed us since we were surrounded by a  crowd. Worthless. However, I didn't react, I was comforting the girl crying in my arms. The only person I had left.