Chapter One - The Return

AN: This is my original story using characters that belong to Hiro Mashima. I only own the plot of this story. This story is also posted on ao3 under my account as Amara22 and on fanfiction under the name nikki997. Both these accounts belong to me so don't accuse me of stealing my own work.
I need to change is their ages. I was told that Natsu is 19 when he firsts meets lucy but he acted on the same level of maturity thorough out the whole story. I changed their ages to suit my story.
S

ince this is time travel expect OCCness.

Chapter one

Lucy couldn't breathe. She looked up at the blood red sky and she laughed. It was a desperate pathetic sound but since she couldn't get enough air into her lungs it came out as a high wheezing cough. Her left leg was trapped underneath a pile of rubble and she could feel the rock bite into her skin. Her hair was a mess, her clothes were torn and every single part of her body hurt.

She was covered in bruises, welts and scratches. Two of her fingers were broken and blood was leaking into her eyes from her temple. She was pretty sure that her left shoulder was dislocated. There was no humor in this situation but she didn't know what else to do but she was Lucy of Fairy Tail. The Light of the Fairies, they called her. She did the only thing she could do. She smiled and laughed in the face of absolute pain and despair.

She was weak. She thought to herself in what was probably her last moments. Thinking back to the first time she met Natsu in Hargeon when she was a naïve, sheltered rich girl. A girl running from her responsibilities and her life desperate for adventure and for a family. She had been so under prepared for everything that happened since joining Team Natsu it was a wonder she wasn't dead yet.

There had been many times in the early days of their adventures that she had wondered why the hell Natsu was so determined to keep her around? He had to constantly protect her often getting hurt in the process. However she ignored the thoughts of getting stronger in favor of having fun and being soothed by the words of her friends. None of them wanted to hurt her feelings and they told her that she didn't need to change or train. Erza would often say that she was still learning and that they loved her just the way she was flaws and all. To them she was their family and they would never dream of changing her.

She appreciated the sentiment. She was so glad to have all those amazing people who cared about her. However looking back on her life now she knew that she had been foolish. Lucy had been eighteen years old and yearning for a better life. Instead she found herself in the middle of a war by the time she turned twenty and her best friend/boyfriend/lover/partner was actually a demon.

A demon who had been born over 400 years ago and died and had been brought back from the dead by his crazy brother. The crazy brother who was actually known as the Dark Wizard and the most evil guy on the planet. She didn't like to think too deeply on the status of her relationship with Natsu. It was just too confusing. There was so much between them she didn't know what to call them most times but now here she was in the middle of a war that they just couldn't win, dying.

She couldn't move. She tried to twitch her toes or move her fingers at least and she just couldn't. She had no magic power left and no energy to even try to twitch her fingers anymore. She didn't know what happened to Natsu. He was facing off against his brother, she knew that much.

She could feel the heat from his flames all the way out here but she didn't know if he was winning or losing. However even though she had faith in him. She was sure that even if he did win by the time he returned to her side she would be long gone.