18. Up your game

The Seido team was settling in on the bleachers after the first strings' awkward interaction with Raichi and Sanda. Everyone was of course expecting Ichidai to win this game, but Satomi was gearing up for an upset. After the Yakushi players helped her at the opening ceremony she did a little research on them, and surprisingly found nothing useful. There was little to no data on them, except that the coach and Raichi were related.

This had of course piqued Satomi's interest, and she staked out their school one afternoon. She found the interaction between Raichi and his father quite amusing. She also found that Raichi could be bribed with food... and that he had practiced his swing since he was a little boy, visualising every pitch imaginable. So combine his strong mind-set and kooky behaviour, and you either have a ticking bomb, random moments of genius or a complete idiot. Well see which one he is today, Satomi thinks.

Then there is Sanada. Satomi didn't find a lot about him, but she knew he had something up his sleeve. When the game starts no one is surprised when Ichidai scores 3 run in the first inning. Satomi can see that the sempai's aren't expecting much from Yakushi, judging by their relaxed postures and carefree mood. Satomi is watching Yakushi closely though, and can sense something happening to their morale when Raichi goes up to bat.

Raichi is a very strange character, but when he holds his bat his whole aura changes. From loud and crazy to scary crazy. "Wow, it's that guy that was waving at us! He has a presence right?" Isashiki was asking the rest of the first string. "He has a scary swing", Ryosuke replied. Miyuki was also focusing on the game now, especially after Satomi's interaction with Raichi and Sanada.

Satomi knew that Ichidai was underestimating Yakushi, and her thought was proven when Ichidai's ace, Manaka, Tanba's childhood friend, lost his rhythm right after Raichi hit a homerun. He was so shocked by Raichi's home run that he gave up a total of four runs in the first inning. Manaka is sent to the outfield to come back to himself, and the Ichidai team tries their best. By the seventh inning Ichidai is leading with 11-7, but the momentum is with Yakushi. Manaka is switched back in, and his fighting spirit is admirable. When he faces Raichi again, Raichi hits a fastball right back at him, injuring his left arm.

Manaka is taken out of the game. The shocked Seido players continue watching. Yakushi's ace Sanada is put in, and he puts up a good fight. Both teams battle it out, but Yakushi emerges as the winner, beating Ichidai 12-11. Satomi had expected something like that, but the Seido players are shocked, especially Tanba, who was preparing to face his friend in the semi-finals. As Seido prepares to leave, Satomi's phone pings with 3 new messages.

The first one is from Sanada: See you at the next game ;D – Sanada. Satomi rolls her eyes and replies: You better watch your back J. The second message is from Raichi: Satomi-chan! Did you see my homerun?! I want to play moorree!- Raichi. This makes Satomi chuckle, and she replies: It was great! Way to go! When Raichi gets her message his eyes almost pop out of his head, and he starts jumping up and down with a huge smile on his face ,"Satomi-chan said it was great! GREAT!" he shouts with joy, causing Sanada to hit him on his head.

The third message is from Narumiya: Satomi-chan! L Coach didn't let me play the whole game... and I could have! Harada wasn't even on my side! L I need some emotional support!- Mei-chan. At this Satomi just sighs and she replies: Congrats on the win! Work hard for the next one. Don't forget to ice your shoulder- Satomi. Narumiya cries happy tears when he gets this message, giving Harada a look before continuing on happily.

Miyuki was walking next to Satomi while she was replying to her messages, carrying her bag. Maybe I should send her a message too? But what can I say? Miyuki thinks to himself. Satomi enjoys getting these messages, thinking that she made a few interesting friends. She was smiling while replying, and this made the third years a little suspicious. They quickly make a plan so they can check her phone, Yuki calling her one side to distract her while Ryosuke takes her phone. Isashiki distracts Miyuki by throwing an arm around his shoulder and leading him in a different direction.

While Yuki was calling Satomi he was asking "Which side looked better, right or left?" He asked this in a very serious tone, tilting his face and posing. Satomi was very confused. "You're asking me which side of your face looked better?" She asks with a frown. Meanwhile Ryosuke was going through Satomi's messages, his face getting darker the more he reads. He quickly saves those numbers on his phone and slips her phone back onto her hand –like a ghost-. Isashiki was talking to Miyuki, "Those Yakushi guys are so cocky. How do they know our Satomi?" Our Satomi? Miyuki thinks, laughing to himself. Ryosuke falls in step with them, telling Miyuki, "You better up your game Miyuki. Those guys aren't playing." Miyuki frowns and walks back to Satomi.

The three first years got separated from the rest of the team. "It's this way! I saw this building earlier!" Sawamura was saying to Haruichi and Furuya while they were wondering around, looking for the bus. "Ano, Eijun-kun, I don't think the bus is this way..." Haruichi was trying to tell Sawamura, but was too caught up in his motivation. Furuya's brain was fried after the game, and he walked into a wall with a bang. While they were helping Furuya up the first years heard, "Okay, a hundred more and you can run home." They came to a stop and saw Raichi and his father; Raichi swinging his bat and Raizou lounging on the floor.

"Just imagine that its Narumiya from Inashiro pitching. There's no other pitcher worth our time." The trio was frozen from shock. Sawamura had a scary look on his face, pointing to himself and then to Furuya. "What abput us?! WHO ARE THEY KIDDING?!" "They have to face us before they can play against Insashiro." Haruichi said.

When the trio reported this to the rest of the team everyone became fired up. "How dare they underestimate us?!" Ishashiki exclaimed. "What about our baldy?" Tanba had shaved his head... "Yes, and what about me?!" Sawamura said, pointing to himself. Silence...

"Anyway!Let's show those Yakushi-waving pansies what Seido is made of!" "YAAHH!"