6. 1st years vs. Upperclassmen

The coach decided that the first and second string could use a boost... so he decided the first years would play against the second string. Some of the first years were very excited (like Sawamura) and others didn't know what to expect. Furuya just really wanted to pitch. Satomi knew he was very excited. He even went as far as to say none of the upperclassman would hit his pitches. This caused quite a stir. Satomi also couldn't believe that Furuya was so forward as to ask Miyuki if he would catch his pitches if no-one could hit his pitch. it may have sounded arrogant to them, but Satomi knew Furuya was just thinking about pitching. After dinner Furuya asked Satomi to practice with him. Satomi went to get her catcher's mitt. On the way Satomi saw Sawamura running with his tyre. He's working really hard. Satomi arrived just as Furuya finished his warm-up. "Onii-chan, are you ready?". Satomi got in the catcher's position and Furuya did his wind up. Thwak. Satomi caught the ball and threw it back. Furuya's focus was laser sharp, effort going into every pitch. They continued for a while, not noticing Miyuki observing them. Wow, Miyuki thought. What a pitch. And to think that Satomi can catch it. She's not even flinching. She looks like a catcher. Such interesting first years we have.

The day of the match arrived. The upperclassman was very serious and focused, and the first years were very intimidated and exited. The one that the most exited was Sawamura of course. He was so happy that the finally got to play he started crying. The upperclassman dominated with batting in the first inning. After 3 strikeouts from the upperclassman Sawamura got sent to play. On his way to the pitcher's mound, his happy moment was ruined by word from the coach. "Where are you going? You're going to right field." He was devastated (and it was obvious he had no experience playing in the outfield, much to the disgust of his fellow first years). The first years were in a pinch to no-one's surprise. The coach then decided to send Furuya to the mound. The upperclassman was very eager to teach him a lesson. His first pitch shocked everyone. It looked like it flied towards you, huge and very fast. The catcher couldn't catch the ball. The batter couldn't react. The ball knocked the coaches face guard off. "You pass Furuya. You can practice with the first string starting tomorrow." Satomi could tell that Furuya was very happy. After that the coach took Furuya off the mound. The upperclassman wanted to bat against him, but no first year could catch his pitch (except Satomi of course).

Satomi knew that Furuya was only thinking about pitching now. So it didn't surprise her when he asked the coach if he could go practice on his own. His fellow first years didn't appreciate that. Their morale was low, because they had yet to score (and the upperclassman were owning them). But one was positively optimistic. Sawamura. When he got the chance to pitch it gave the rest some spirit. He even got on base (although it was on a dropped third strike). Haruichi then put himself in as a pinch hitter and showed everyone that he has baseball talent, and Sawamura scored. Furuya saw the change in the team when Sawamura lit their spark (mostly to criticise him though). Satomi knew that Furuya wanted to be part of a team like that. You can learn that from Sawamura Onii-chan, Satomi thought. Masuko also proved himself after being demoted by hitting and fielding consistently, and hitting a homerun off Sawamura. The first years could only score the one run, so the upperclassman won 20-1.

Later that night Satomi was looking for Furuya when she found him and Miyuki getting ready to play catch. They were talking and Miyuki was getting ready to catch Furuya's pitch. "I came to Seido to look for where I belong. Please don't disappoint me, Miyuki-sempai." Miyuki looked shocked at Furuya's words. But Furuya was even more shocked when Miyuki caught his pitch with no difficulty. Satomi looked at them practicing and after a while announced her presence. "Don't over-do it in one day, Onii-chan." Furuya and Miyuki were startled. Satomi smiled and walked over to them. Furuya had a happy aura around him. Miyuki looked confused. "Onii-chan?" He looked between Satomi and Furuya, noting their hair and eye colour. Satomi smiled. "We're twins." "Haaa!?" Furuya looked at Miyuki. "Yes sempai. Satomi is my twin sister." Miyuki couldn't believe it. All Satomi's visits to Furuya's room flashed through his mind. He even recalls seeing them together often. So that was the reason, Miyuki thinks. Better not tell her I thought she was going out with Furuya... Miyuki thought about the other senior's reactions to Furuya and Satomi. Should I tell them? Nah, it'll be more entertaining watching them figure it out. *smirk*