F.A.B. References!

Thunderbirds - my favourite of the Gerry Anderson productions. I absolutely love that show to bits!

I'm sure many who grew up with the 2015 reboot are aware of the original 1960s SUPERMARIONATION classic by Gerry Anderson and his team at the Slough Trading Estate, A.P Films. Whilst I do love the remake also, the classic Thunderbirds just can't be bettered. I've started off with a fanfiction of this version of Thunderbrids to ensure that when I come to my Classic Thunderbirds fanfiction is perfect. 

One of the many things I love about the new series is the fan service throughout. The dozens of references to the original are FAB enough, but also the countless references to the other Gerry Anderson productions. In Relic, SHADO Alpha 1 was based on elements from two Anderson productions, SHADO Moonbase (UFO) and Monnbase Alpha (Space: 1999). Footage from Stingray can be seen in the episodes Ring Of Fire Part 1 and Chain Reaction, and apparently John's favourite TV show. And in Fireflash, Kayo could turn "Fireflash into Fireball!". I'm sure Steve Zodiac and Space City would have a few words about that...

But the best of all would have to be the Spectrum Satellite in Heist Society and Power Play, and the character of Conrad in Long Haul. These are of course references to Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, my second favourite Anderson production. Above is an excellent video for those who are unaware of this S.I.G. production made by Anderson Entertainment and hosted by Anderson expert Chris Dale.

To me, Captain Scarlet is almost as good as Thunderbirds! I was hooked from the first time I watched the entire series at 13! Many references from both these two shows are included in this story.

1. City Of The Angels: This story was originally titled the Captain Scarlet story Place Of Angels. The X14 Virus from that story is also in this one, with a couple of lines being quoted along and following a similar ending to the story.

2. When Scott mentions how the Hood saving Kayo from the falling alsterne, this means that this story takes place after Touch And Go.

3. The DT19 first featured in the Captain Scarlet episode Winged Assassin. Although, this version in Thunderbirds Are Go! is a smaller version.

4. The pilots Metcalfe and Svenson are the last names of Spectrum agents Captain Scarlet (Paul Metcalfe) and Captain Blue (Adam Svenson).

5. The SPJ from Captain Scarlet is almost the exact same design in this tale, just renamed the Maximum Security Passenger Jet.

6. Agents Captain Holden and Fraser are also the last names of two more Spectrum agents, Captain Grey (Bradley Holden) and Captain Ochre (Richard Fraser).

7. The World President featured in the opening episode of Captain Scarlet and the episode Spectrum Strikes Back.

8. The plot also follows along the same lines as the opening - The Mysterons. However, instead of climbing up the London Car-Vu, the World President is hi-jacked up to the Los Angeles Car-Vu.

9. The Spectrum Satellite also returns to this story - communications relay for the security organisations for the Spectrum agents to contact each other with. Those hats are so cool!

10. The DT19 crashes on the Thompson Building, referring to the Thompson Tower building from the Thunderbirds episode City Of Fire.

11. The Mole returns! Except Thunderbird 4, most people's favourite Pod vehicle. Having only appeared in a few classic stories; Pit Of Peril, City Of Fire, Cry Wolf and The Duchess Assignment. In the reboot, it has returned in the episodes Crosscut, Chain Of Command, Volcano! and Grandma Tourismo.

12. The Firefly also appears once more. The Firefly first appeared in Terror In New York City, and returning in City Of Fire and Cry Wolf. Bringing the Firefly into Thunderbirds Are Go!

F.A.B - THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!