Blue and Gold (Serpent Part 2)

I just wanted to say, Jughead and Betty don't know each others names yet. I know I put it in the last part but we're going to pretend he doesn't know her name yet. And this is the second part of Serpent which was requested by lispot

The rest of the night, my friends and I hung out at the Whyte Wyrm just messing around. The blonde was on my mind the whole time. And I'm feeling out because that's never happened before! The next morning I woke up and noticed my dad never came home last night. He's probably hung over at a friend's or something. I did the same thing as yesterday but instead of heading to the Whyte Wyrm, I went straight to school. I needed to be in the Blue and Gold room by 7:30. I made it there 2 minutes early so I walked in and there was the blonde haired girl, already sitting at her desk, typing on her laptop. She was so engrossed in what she was doing, she didn't notice me come in. I walked over to her and lightly touched her shoulder, causing her head to shoot up. She saw me and her eyes widened.
"Oh my God. I'm so sorry, I lost track of time and didn't realize you'd be here yet." She quickly shut her laptop and stood up.
"It's no problem. Anyway, I'm Jughead Jones," I said, holding out my hand for her to shake. She bit her lip and her eyes filled with amusement.
"Jug-head?" She asked.
"It's a nickname. My real name is a lot worse. Trust me," I said, nodding towards my hand. She took my hand and shook it.
"Betty Cooper." I studied her face.
"That's not your real name," I said. She looked surprised.
"How did you know that?" She asked.
"I'm pretty good at reading people." I could tell a lot about her just from looking at her. She's a straight A student, she is never getting into any trouble, and she is portrayed as the perfect girl next door but there is something else I just can't put my finger on. She lightly rubbed my hand with her thumb which brought me out of my trance and caused me to look down at our still intertwined hands. I looked back up and smiled at her. She shyly pulled her hand away.
"Sorry," she said.
"Don't apologize. You didn't do anything," I told her, trying to keep my voice soft.
"Uh, you, uh wanna get started?" She asked. I nodded. She showed me the basics like how to work the old computers, she showed me some of the previous articles, and her ideas for upcoming articles. By the end of it, I was sure I liked Betty. I couldn't get her out of my head. "So, yeah. That's about it. We meet every Monday morning to discuss what article topic we'll be doing but you can come in here whenever you  want. I'll give you a key." She walked over to a cabinet and pulled out a spare key. "Here you go." Our hands brushed together and I felt butterflies in my stomach. My face heated up and I looked down at the floor.
"Th-Thanks. Are we finished?" Her face looked a little hurt but she changed it to a neutral expression. 
"Yeah." I grabbed my bag and hurried out the door. When I got outside I took a breath of relief. I just completely embarrassed myself. 

After school, I decided to go to the Blue and Gold. I walked in and Betty was in there.
"H-Hey Betty," I said, and blushed because I stuttered.
"Hello," she said without looking up at me. I awkwardly sat down on the desk next to hers and took out my laptop. I rested my hands on the keys but realized it didn't know what to do.
"B-Betty?" She hummed in response. "Is there a specific topic you want me to work on? Like for an article?" She looked over at me and sighed.
"I have a few ideas but all of them we would need to work together and I know you  don't want to do that so no..." She turned back to her computer and clicked a few times before putting it away. What did she mean. I never said... Then it hit me. I wanted to leave so quickly because I was embarrassed but she probably thought I didn't like her and that's why I wanted to leave. I was going to tell her that but she was gone. I sighed and just started to do my homework. I didn't want to go home yet because I knew dad was gonna be drunk off his ass already. It's my little sisters birthday but my mom took her and left a couple years ago so he starts drinking early in the morning to forget about the whole day.
I ended up staying in the blue and gold until 2 am in hopes my dad would be passed out. I drove back home and slowly crept into the house. I heard my dad shout from his room,
"Boy! Is that you?!" He stomped out from his bedroom. "What do you think your doing coming home at this hour?!" Then he smacked me. I held my hand to my stinging cheek and shakily said,
"I'm sorry, Dad." He grabbed my face.
"Yeah you will be," he said and guzzled down the rest of his beer. "Stay right there," he said and backed up. I closed my eyes shut tight because I already knew what was going to happen. A split second later I felt a bottle smash against my head, small pieces of the glass digging into my skin. Dad walked away laughing as I winced in pain. I opened the door and left. I decided the only place I'd be able to go was back to the Blue and Gold so that's what I did. I spent hours trying to all the glass out of my face. I had a mirror with me but it was small and difficult to use. I didn't even realize what time it was until Betty walked through the door.
"Jughead." She sounded surprised. She stopped in her tracks as her eyes scanned my face. "What happened?" She walked up to me and wiped some of the blood away.
"Uh... Nothing. I just... Need some help getting the rest of the glass out." I showed her my mirror. "This isn't working very well." She crossed her arms.
"I'll help you. After you tell me what happened." I sighed and turned towards my small mirror. "I'll do it myself." She nodded and sat down. She started typing and I struggled to get the glass out. 

"My dad threw an empty beer bottle at me," I blurted. Betty looked startled and it took her a minute to process before she realized what I said. Her eyes widened and her mouth opened slightly. "Yesterday was my sister's birthday and my dad always gets extra drunk and I got home late so he... You know." She nodded and got up. She walked over to me and started pulling glass out of my face and occasionally dabbing it with a towel. It took her awhile to get it all out but when she did, my face was stinging with pain.
"Okay I need to run to my locker to get my first aid kit so can you stay here?" I nodded and she left. Only about a minute after, somebody walked in. I looked up and there was a boy with black hair and a varsity jacket standing in the doorway.
"Uh, hi." I said. He stared at me with a stone cold look on his face. "Can I help you?"
"What are you doing in here?" I was a little surprised.
"I'm in the Blue and Gold?" It came out more of a question by accident. He looked me up and down.
"Does Betty know?" Is this kid stupid?
"She's the one who read my work and told me I'm in so I'd hope so." He scoffed at me.
"You stay away from her, you hear me?"
"Oh yeah? And who's going to make me? You and your little football buddies?" I asked standing up. "She's her own person and can choose who she does or doesn't hang out with. If she doesn't want me around her, I'll back off but I'm not getting away from her just because you want me to." Betty came up from behind the boy and pushed past him.
"Yeah, Reggie. Leave us both alone." Reggie scoffed.
"Fine, but when this piece of trash betrays you I'll be waiting with open arms." Then he walked away.
"Don't listen to him. That's Reggie Mantle. We dated for like 2 weeks then we broke up but he still thinks he has some kind of hold on me. I'm glad you didn't listen to him though. I really want to be your friend I just thought you didn't like me and I... I'm rambling aren't I?" I chuckled and nodded.
"It's okay. I do the same and I'm glad we both feel the same way." She finished cleaning my face then stepped back to look at me and smiled. 
"Good as new," she said.
"Thank you."
"It's no problem." She walked over to the first aid kit, closed it, and slipped it into her backpack, just as the bell rang. "Well, I'll see you after class?" 
"Yeah." She hugged me on the way out the door. "Bye," I said and she waved at me. I grabbed my backpack and slung it over my shoulder. I headed to my first class but had trouble keeping my eyes opened. I didn't realize how tired I was until the teacher was droning on and on. 

I made it through first and second period, almost falling asleep in third but luckily fourth period was my free period so I went to the store to grab a couple of energy drinks and some candy because why not. I got back to school and went into the blue and gold. I layed down on the couch a started drinking one of my energy drinks. Somewhere near the end the door opened and Betty walked in.
"Hey, Jug. I didn't expect to see you in here," she said, setting her bag down on her desk. 
"Yeah, just waiting for my energy to come back."
"You were up all night, weren't you?" I sighed and sat up. 
"Yeah," I said with a yawn. She walked over to me and sat down where my head was. She gently patted her lap.
"Here, you can rest on me." I smiled and laid my head on her lap. "I'll wake you up for your next class if you want." I yawned and nodded. I closed my eyes and fell asleep almost immediately. 

I was awoken to Betty softly running her fingers through my hair. 
"Mmm," I mumbled as I slowly opened my eyes. 
"Good morning," Betty said.
"Morning." She took her hands out of my hair and I groaned. She giggled. "Why'd you stop?" I whined. 
"Because the period's going to end in like two minutes and I have to get my stuff together for class." I pouted and she laughed at me again. She picked my backpack up and tossed it at me. I caught it with a grunt. "Come on." I stood up and chugged my second energy. I tossed the can into the trash on my way out the door. I just have to get through the rest of the day and then I can go home and sleep. This period I have with Betty so that's good. I walked into class and sat in my seat next to her. I groaned and dropped my head to the table. She laughed and continued to write down the notes written on the board. 
"Still tired, huh?" I nodded my head dramatically. "Come on, you big dummy. Do your work." I grumbled a little but picked my head up and started taking the notes myself. 
I got super bored and almost fell asleep until the teacher announced a project. I liked doing projects because it gave me an excuse not to be at home.

[I'm back from the dead. Sorry for being so inactive recently but I finally finished this part and the next one should be up soon because I already started it. Thanks for waiting and being patient with my inconsistent writing schedule.]