Chapter 8 - Brutal Reality

The funeral began at dusk.

Bowed heads and tear-filled eyes belonged to the crowd standing in the middle of a golden field located at the far eastern sector of the Cordra District. There a cemetery could be found. It was a spacious area composed entirely of tombstones and buried bodies of the deceased. 

The crowd organized themselves into two groups, separated by the linear path leading to Matt Hunt's grave. It was a tradition to wear dark clothing for such a service. A standard created by someone who'd long departed the living world. Rex didn't recognize most of them though he'd been told they were friends and family from Haren. Regardless, the strangers didn't concern him. Three days ago, Matt Hunt was murdered. How could this happen? Why did it happen? Was this world really so cruel?

Chase stood beside him, both of them wearing black clothing they'd borrowed from Alice. Speaking of Alice, the girl chose to attend. Rex sideglanced at her, the girl crying into her hands as Lucas comforted her on the opposite side of the path. Like himself, she knew the professor well. He'd often watch the three of them play together and even bandaged a bruise she'd received when she was smaller. 

Chase, however, didn't bother ridding his face of the flooding tears. He was as still as a statue, not uttering a word to anyone since the ceremony began. Being carried by a team of four enforcers was a long wooden coffin. Rex was then struck with another wave of astonishment. He still had trouble coming to the revelation that yes, their father, the man choosing to adopt him when everyone saw him as an outsider, no longer resided in the land of the living. Whether he liked it or not, this was the brutal reality.

Chase clenched his fists tightly. Tears escaped his sockets though he never outright began to bawl like some of the other faceless strangers. But a storm of emotions raged within him. A mixed sensation of distraught, confusion, and anger. Rex had felt similar at first. He recalled the moment when they were told Matt died. The day that changed their lives forever.

* * *

"Ha! What did I say?!" Rex grinned. The two had just finished a long day's worth of work. They strolled down the streets of Cordra as evening fastly approached. "You know you really should have more faith in me, bro. Everything worked out fine!" True, their day had gone quite well. Almost too well. Mr. Fredrick wasn't even angry anymore, surprisingly enough. No, his concerns garnered towards how the number of exos crystals was decreasing. You see, in Sanctuary, these special crystals of sapphire were responsible for powering most technology and machines. For there to be a lack of them was definitely troubling news. Disregarding that, the day went how it normally did. Although, Chase had trouble coping with how nonchalant everyone was.

Rex placed his hands atop his head and boasted, "Told you there wasn't a need to panic."

"If I recall, you were just as scared as I was, maybe even more so. However, I shouldn't be surprised at how terrible you are at remembering things."

"Not funny!"

"Anyhow, we can't drop our god just yet. Enforcers are way too petty to let this matter so easily slide under the rug." Chase sharpened his eyes. "We need to stay vigilant. Something tells me this won't be the last we see of him."

"I sure hope it is. I don't know if I'd be able to keep myself from punching him in the face."

"And another thing," Chase muttered. "Should our paths happen to cross with him again I expect you to behave in a fashion which isn't comparable to a street dog."

"Hey!"

"I mean it. If you give in to his trickery you'll just be proving his point and establishing yourself as a cliche street urchin."