Chapter 2 - Sanctuary

They rocketed in the direction of their workplace.

The sun hung in the sky, sheeting its magnificent golden rays onto the city below. Cordra District wasn't as poor as other districts, specifically those in the outer ring. Although, it wasn't as grandiose as the higher-up districts either. 

Nevertheless, it was a prestigious domain if the fancy-looking stallions cruising the bustling streets weren't telling enough. Instead of open-air markets, multi-storied shops and restaurants consumed a decent portion of Cordra. Skyscrapers towered above them as monorails carrying swarms of people sped across the tracks reticulating between numerous buildings.

If a person didn't produce enough jen they'd be forcefully evicted. That was the law. This meant everyone who wasn't already rich had enforcers constantly breathing down their necks. Rex and Chase weren't exceptions. They eagerly ran through the sea of people, ignoring the foul looks they'd receive for doing so. Miraculously, they weren't as late as Chase suspected. Their employer was on the other side of town. 

If they maintained their current pace they'd arrive before long. Chase glanced at Rex running beside him, his brother showing no signs of exhaustion. He'd always fared a lot better when it came to endurance compared to himself. This was another reason why he excelled at his job. If Chase got put into such a position he'd be fired before the week ended. With both of them living under the same roof they could earn double the amount of jen. Additionally, when combined with the income their father made they'd have enough to spare.

"How was breakfast?! Seems you enjoyed it!"

"Seeing as how I'm alive it must not have been as toxic as those scrambled eggs last week."

"Harsh man! I put my heart and soul into those eggs!"

"That's probably why they tasted so terrible."

"You jerk! I know a thing or two about food!"

"I am speaking to the moron who bought a bag of scorpion tails instead of a hare, right?"

"Scorpions are delicious if you prepare them correctly!! And I couldn't bring myself to cook a rabbit! They're my favorite animals! Those big ears of theirs are so cool!"

"Coincidentally enough, their ears are almost as big as your mouth." Chase sneered.

Before Rex retorted to the snarky comment Chase caught his brother by the collar of his shirt. Had they continued running they'd dash right in the middle of oncoming traffic. The line of stallions sluggishly drove across the street, blue-colored smoke expelling from their exhausts. Rex quickly noticed how most of the hovering vehicles were being operated by butlers as their lazy bosses resided in the passenger seats. 

He glared at a certain stallion, in particular. It was bigger and needlessly bombastic. The large purple vehicle had five pairs of windows and discharged loud obnoxious music. Poking their heads out the many windows were teenagers not much older than himself. A blond-haired kid sticking his body halfway out cheered and shouted like a crazy person. He flaunted blue stacks of paper, showboating bundles of sapphires to the public.

Those papers were extremely important. They were called jen and each represented a unique value. Jen split into five categories: Blights which were worth a single credit, comets worth ten, jades worth twenty, sapphire being fifty, and finally hearts being a whopping hundred credits. Acquiring jen became increasingly difficult, especially if you were poor. This noble owned more in a hand than most made in a month. Rex wanted nothing more than to face the inconsiderate rich boy and punch him square in the jaw. However, if he did he'd end up getting into trouble with the authorities . . . Again.