Chapter 13

A loud knock at the door scared Minnie awake one morning. She was hesitant to answer, wondering who it was.

The knock sounded again, and someone shouted downstairs.

"I'm coming!" It was her Aunt.

"Where is she? Is she okay?" A frantic voice spoke, Minnie smiled slightly and walked slowly down the stairs, seeing Ronny in front of her Aunt.

"I'm fine, Ronny." He looked up and grinned at her, rushing over to help her with the last couple of steps and then pulled her into a hug.

"Ouch." She moaned, he let go quickly and smiled awkwardly.

"Sorry." She looked into his eyes and saw sadness there, and worry. As she looked at him she suddenly felt bad, guilty about the fact that, in truth, she had barely thought about him since the beating.

"I've been at my aunts, where Lily is. My uncle had an accident with one of the tractors. I'm sorry I haven't been here."

"It's fine, your family are more important."

"I'll leave you to it then." She heard Polly mutter before she slunk away, still angry with Tommy.

Minnie guided him to the sofa and he placed a kiss on her lips and lightly under her eye where the angry bruise was now yellowing.

"I'm happy your okay, I couldn't believe what happened when I heard. How's Tommy?" He held her hand tightly, as if he never wanted to let go and it made Minnie feel worse.

"He's getting there, he discharged himself three weeks early, but hes doing well still."

"Ah, good. I'm the first one back, Polly sent me a letter a few days ago and I came as soon as I could." She was grateful that her aunt had thought about Ronny, that made her think they accepted him.

"That was good of her. It's nice to see you." She rested her head against his shoulder.

"Min?" Ronny spoke, "Are we okay?" Minnie felt bad when he asked that, she really liked Ronny and realised recent she hadnt been putting enough effort into their relationship.

"Yes Ronny, I'm sorry that I haven't really seen you much lately. But that will change, I promise." She replied.

"I understand Minnie, let's look forward to the future eh?" She smiled at him before putting her hand on his face, turning him towards her. She lightly pecked him on the lips, looking into his eyes.

"I can't wait." She muttered.

() () () () () () () () ()

It was finally the night, the grand reopening. Minnie stood in her pretty pale pink dress, her hair up in curls. She lifted her casted arm and dropped it with a huff, the cast and the faint bruises on her face ruined the look.