Chapter 12 : Fading Into The Darkness

Start from the beginning

"C-Can I see her?!" This was something Swara had been waiting for since the whole day. "Please, can I just see her for once? Please Sanskar." She whispered to him at the end, not being able to bear the heartbreak anymore as she once again felt painful for her mother being in such a condition in the first place.

Sanskar knew she had every right to see her mother, and she didn't need to ask him like this, "Yes, you can. But she'll be soon taken to the ICU for the blood transfusion and after she gets shifted there, you won't be able to see her then."

"It's okay," she stuttered as she still couldn't contain the heaviness of all emotions inside of her. "I'll go and see her now."

He nodded her head in convenience, as Swara immediately made her way towards the room, all the way to meet her mother.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Swara entered the room with slow and heavy steps, as if her slightest move would harm her mother somehow. She walked all the way towards the bed... the same bed where her mother had been lying for nearly a day. The same bed that now smelled more like antiseptic and other kinds of strong medicines, or perhaps not the bed, maybe the entire room itself smelled like that.

Swara's heart broke yet again for the umpteenth time as her already-tear-filled eyes lied on the most important and valuable lady of her life that was her mother... who was right now lying there unconscious, with several kinds of machines and systems attached to her pale body.

Sharmishtha's head was bandaged, where a huge wound on her forehead was visible. There was a small bruise on her right cheek. Her neck was buried underneath a big brown bandage around it and as if things couldn't get any worse, her left arm was plastered too.

Sanskar was correct when he had said that even if her mother was out of danger, she was still critical. And that was why she was to be taken to intensive care unit.

Swara sat on a stool near her mother and stared at her with several emotions swirling in those large black orbs of hers. She never expected her mother to see like this. She couldn't even imagine what if something would have happened to her mother!

She owed so much to Sanskar for saving her mother... but what if he couldn't had saved her? What if situation couldn't had been in his hands but instead in the hands of her cruel fate?

Swara softly grabbed Sharmishtha's free hand, and her other hand caressed her fingers. Those cold, pale hands... a lone tear dropped down her cheek as once again she was reminded of her mother's fragile condition.

"Ghar se nikalne se pehle..." Swara began, as she clutched Sharmishtha's hand with both her hands, letting her avalanche of emotions flow in a go. "I told you to take care of yourself Maa. Kabhi nahi sunte ho na aap meri baat ko!" Swara sobbed once again, as remembering her Maa's state hours ago broke her for the infinite time. "I told you to take care of yourself Maa. You know it, I can't bear if anything happens to you. You're the only one I'm living for Maa. You're the sole reason behind my existence. Aap ho, toh mai hoon. Agar aap ko hi kuch ho gaya... toh mai kaise jee paungi? Have you ever thought about yourself? Why can't you take care of yourself Maa? When I left our home, the only thing I'd ever told you was to take care of yourself... still you didn't listen to me. Even Dida is not here. You know what, I wish Dida was here. I want her to slap you for how careless you have been today!" Swara broke into sobs and bent her head against the blanket beneath which her Maa was lying. "When will you learn to take care of yourself Maa? When? W-h-en!" Her voice broke into soft sobs.

All of a sudden, it hit her that this woman who was right now lying between so many medical systems and stitched at too many places, all fragile and pale, this woman was nothing like the strong, healthy woman Swara had known in her entire life. Every little moment they both spent together, suddenly started flashing right in front of her eyes until she couldn't take this damaged state of her mother anymore...