Chapter 14: Day Out

Magsimula sa umpisa

"These are my ready made medicines. Choose what you need." He gestured to the shelf. I nodded and started browsing for whatever I need.

* * *

"Goddamn. Why the hell did you buy so much of these?" Luca grimaced an hour later. He looked at the basket full of medicinal plants.

"Isn't that why you came with me? To help me carry all of these?"

He groaned as he lifted the basket. Levi just chuckled as he lifted another basket. I turned to the old man and thanked him. Turns out, I already have  my name on all of the stores in this city. If ever I wanted to buy anything anywhere, the store will charge it directly to my account, my salary. I reminded myself to ask Exene later how much is my salary.

"Are you going to start planting in the greenhouse?" Luca asked. I shook my head.

"Those are just my supply for the clinic."

"Why didn't you buy all the ready mades?" Levi said while looking at the plants.

"I want to make them myself with all those plants you're carrying."

"One plant in my basket smells like shit." Luca made a face dahilan para tumawa kami ni Levi.

"Don't tell me you're going to brew this or something and make us drink it?"

I shrugged. "Probably."

"You are an evil's pawn."

"But don't worry. It won't smell like shit once I brew it so you won't notice."

They both gave me an incredulous stare.

* * *

It was scorching hot when we stopped at a cafe to get some refreshments. And as usual, all attention is on them. I don't mind though. As long as the attention's not on me. Levi came back to the table dala dala ang inorder namin. We sat at one of the tables outside dahil puno na rin sa loob. Luca is giving...weird smiles to one of the girls behind me and I can hear their giggles when Luca winked.

"Will you stop that?" I said, half whispering.

"Stop what?" Luca said, eyes still on the girls behind me.

I just rolled my eyes and sipped on my juice. This part of town is usually crowded as there's a University nearby and apartments around it. And there are an unusual number of people particularly girls around here. I slumped on my seat and sighed. Why have I surrounded myself with chick magnets.

"If you want to buy some plants for your greenhouse, Old Kane can help you." Levi said dahilan para mapalingon ako sa kanya.

Right. The greenhouse is almost done. Kailangan ko na sigurong magsimulang magtanim.

"Or—" Luca gave one last grin to the females behind and faced me. "—you can ask Exene to help you with this one. Especially now that there's the presence of a visitor, you can't let Exene's attention be divided."

Kumunot ang noo ko dahilan para mas lumapad ang ngisi niya.

"I heard the Princess is quite a woman. I haven't met her but Exene surely talked about her a lot."

This time napataas ang kilay ko. Not that I am against it but Exene talked about her? As far as I can remember, he's not that fond of her.

"You've got quite a competition, Lily."

"And you should shut your mouth, Luca." Levi said but my mind wandered  somewhere else. Exene needed my help desperately that he asked me to pretend to be his girlfriend. This is the least thing I could do for all the things he've done to me.

"Anyway..." Luca said loudly dahilan para mabalik ako sa realidad. "...lots of girls around here today. Nice." He grinned as he roamed his eyes around. 

"When was the last time you slept with a woman, Lev?"

I gave them both an incredulous look.

"Are you seriously going to talk about that with me here?"

But they do not seem to hear me.

"When we did it together. That was the last time." Levi answered casually.

I choked on my drink. They both looked at me. Luca is grinning widely. 

"You two--do those things...together?"

Luca grinned. "Oh yes. Imagine how satisfied the girl was."

"You share...girls?"

"Sometimes we do. Other times—"

I held up my hand to stop him from talking. "Okay, enough." 

Ngunit hindi yata narinig ni Luca ang sinabi ko. He inched his chair closer to his twin and they started to observe the girls around. 

"That girl in a blue skirt seems interested in you, Lev. But I've only caught her looking at you twice so maybe not that interested." 

Levi rolled his eyes as he sipped on his drink. 

"And that hot girl over there in a yellow halter top. Damn, she's hot." Luca continued. 

"Too talkative. And her voice sounds like it can pierce my ears. Imagine her screaming." 

Luca shook his head while clicking his tongue. "I like loud girls but I don't think I want someone who'd scream like a banshee when I bang her." 

"Oh, god." I muttered, palm on my face. Are they seriously talking about it in front of me? They don't seem to notice my discomfort. Or they did notice but didn't care anyway. 

"Oh look at that chic over there." Luca pointed across the road using his lips. Napatingin din ako. Across the street is a three storey apartment. And on the second floor is a girl hanging a towel in her balcony. Despite the distance, I can clearly see her eyes darting in our direction. 

"She's interested in you. Even me can see that." I muttered and sipped on my drink. 

"Yeah. But she's shy. I bet she won't ask me out even if I tell her. But look at that--" Luca grinned to Levi. His brother just looked at the girl, unimpressed.

"She's been hanging that single piece of towel for almost two minute now. And it's not even wet." 

"You think she'll be out tonight?" Levi asked dahilan para mapatingin ako sa kanya. I thought he's not interested. He looks bored while looking at the girl. 

"I'm going to find out." Luca grinned at my direction. 

And that's it. That's how they find someone to play with. 

"Do these girls even know that it's not serious? Were there any girls who chased you--" 

"Of course we make it clear to them." Luca said ngunit naniningkit ang mata niyang nakatinging sa'kin. He rested his elbow on the table and looked at me. 

"Are you perhaps...a virgin?" 

This time, muntik ko nang malunok ko ang isang cube ng ice. What kind of question is that? I can feel my face heating up. 

Levi stood up and smacked his brother in the head ngunit tumawa lang ito. 

"That's enough for today. We should head home." Levi announced. 

"Right. We should." I replied eagerly at agad tumayo. 

My face was red and hot the rest of the way home. Damn you, Luca.

* * *