Chapter 8: To The Rescue

Start from the beginning

We round yet another corner, the large wooden doors now in our view as we only have so many paces left.

"Hey, you there!"

Reaching the wooden doors, we all turn. A large group of Knights stand at the end of the hallway we had emerged from. Leon, Gwaine and Arthur all draw swords in unison, the sudden metal sound catching me by surprise. The other knights mimic the movement, silverswords glimmering in the torchlight. Arthur looks between the wooden doors and the Knights, his mind calculating.

"What do you want us to do, Sire?" Leon asks, his tone steady.

"Gwaine, take Edythe, find King Olaf", Arthur instructs. "Leon and I will hold these men off for as long as we can."

"Is that a good idea?" I ask, unable to stop myself with the uneven odds that the two will have to face.

"Yes. Just...don't attack Gwaine and run," Arthur pleads. "You keep your word, and I'll keep mine."

I nod, having not planned anything other than following as they ask.

"We'll try to be as quick as possible", Gwaine assures, locking forearms with Arthur and then Leon. All three give each other nods.

I barely see Leon and Arthur contact the first few swords before Gwaine pulls me through the tall wooden doors. I shriek as Gwaine pushes me into the hall, turning quickly to shut and lock the tall wooden door with a loud bang.

Being just the two of us, I'm alert, ready for any threat. Yet, I don't see a lineup of knights as I expected. Instead, I see the King seated on his throne, head hung low and limbs limp over the sides of the wood.

I tilt my head to the side, eyebrows furrowing. I take a couple of steps toward the centre of the room. The Hall is silent. The distant cries of men outside and swords hitting each other are nothing but faint muffles. None of the disruptions affect the King. His mind seems elsewhere, eyes distant, and lips parted. The usual symptoms where mind control is concerned.

"Creepy", Gwaine whispers. He still holds his sword in a firm grip. I take another step forward, Gwaine grabbing my arm. "Wait. This seems too easy...."

"Olaf is just a pawn in Ivo's game", I reply "if we don't act quickly, Ivo will give him an order. Then this whole mission will crumble."

With that, I yank my arm out of Gwaine's grasp, walking forward, glaring at him as I do so. The Knight follows close behind, ready and on guard as we approach the unmoving King. Now close, I notice he has lost colour in his skin, cheekbones cutting through his now lifeless face. The magic drains his spirit, potent stuff and is very deadly if uncontrolled. Now only but arms reach from Olaf, I wave my hand in front of his face, trying to see if he is registering anything.

"You-who, Olaf? You in there?" I sing, now leaning forward, bringing my face close to his, looking into his empty eyes.

"I wouldn't get that close if I were you", Gwaine states on edge.

"He's fine. See. Not doing anything!"

I spoke too soon.

Olaf leaps to life, arms outstretched and a roar erupting in his throat. His long skeleton-like fingers wrap around the base of my throat, blocking my airflow. With a gasp, I'm thrown off my feet, the King coming down with me as he digs me into the stone floor. I groan with the hard impact, eyes rolling into the back of my head, darkness overflowing the edges of my vision.

Gwaine appears in my line of sight, wrapping his arms around Olaf in a firm grip. He heaves Olaf off me, Olaf's grip releasing. Air floods back into my nose, burning its way down my tender lungs. I cough, sitting up whilst trying to get my bearings.