Promise

Arya struggled to open her eyes when she woke. There was a light, but it was very faint and a smell that was very distant. Everything seemed so far away until her senses caught up to her, and the light and smell of a burning candle were inches from her face. She knew when she looked around that she was in her own room; in her own bed. Her breaths became short, and her hands fumbled underneath her as she tried to sit up.

The man behind the candle shushed her and tried to calm her, but she couldn't hear his words. His voice became gradually louder, and she realized it was Gendry. She gave up when she saw his face. She could be weak with him, so she laid back down and closed her eyes. With that, came many tears, and she couldn't stop them. 

Gendry put the candle down and put his hands on her face, stroking the tears away. "I'm so sorry, Arya," he said. "I wish there was something I could have done."

Arya covered his hand with her own and held onto it tightly. She said no words; only looked at him in his eyes, and looked back at the ceiling. 

In her mind, she wondered what the hell just happened. Her brother; half brother; cousin; whatever he was to her, was dead. She stopped crying when she remembered his face; how he looked at her, and her breath did not come back to her. She coughed and coughed until she sat up and retched over the side of the bed. 

Gendry's hands helped her back up and asked her if she was okay. He was thankful that she had not thrown up on his side of the bed. 

Arya looked at him with blank eyes, thinking about his question, and suddenly leaned back over the edge and retched again. This time she laid back down and wiped the vomit from her mouth with her sleeve. 

Gendry got up and started to clean the floor. Arya slowly sat up and moved to her feet to follow him. He saw her walking towards him and ran back to her. He sat her back down on the bed. "Please, Arya, rest," he looked at her with sad eyes. "You need it."

"Let me help you," she pleaded. For a minute, Gendry contemplated; then he nodded and took his hands off her shoulders. She grabbed a towel from her wardrobe and soaked up all the vomit she could. Gendry came in with another towel and a serving maid. The maid began to fill Arya's bathtub. 

They cleaned until the floor was almost clean. Arya undressed herself and got in the tub. Gendry sat beside her on the ground. 

"I didn't think she would do it," Arya started, before feeling a tear and looking shamefully at the bathwater. 

"Me neither," Gendry agreed. "I don't think anyone knew."

"No one knew, but everyone wanted it to happen. All those people gathered around to watch him die. They love her."

"She's not what they think she is," he said. "She's not her brother Raegar, you know, the one who liked to sing and help the poor. She's not like-" he stopped himself. 

"Jon," Arya finished where he felt he shouldn't.

"Yeah," Gendry dropped his head. "I'm so sorry, Arya. You don't deserve all the loss you've suffered. Life's not supposed to be this way," he was angry. "The people who have hurt you don't deserve their lives. You know that?"

"I know that," Arya looked at him. "I know that more than anyone." She reached out her hand to his cheek. "I won't lose you, will I?"

Gendry smiled. "No," he pushed her hair behind her ear. "You won't lose me."