The Feast

She stepped through the doors, elegant, pure, and beautiful. She looked around the room. To Jon first, then Danaerys, and then the rest of them, all the while, smiling. Gendry lifted a brow at her to say 'hello, my lady'. She let out a soft laugh. Gendry's smile faded when he saw who came through the doors behind Arya. Arya noticed the fear in his eye and turned around. It took her a minute, but the red cloak with matching hair and eyes underneath it told her everything she needed to know.

The red witch locked eyes with Arya as she circled around her so that the whole room could see Arya's rage. Neither made any motion to speak, they just looked. Arya, wide eyes narrowing by the second, and Melisandre, lips curving into a twisted smile. Arya scoffed and walked past the red witch, hastily and angrily, to take her seat next to Jon. It seemed the only people threatened by Melisandre were Arya, Gendry, and Davos, for some reason, who was sweating and growling profusely.

The tables were curved so that Danaerys, Jon, Arya, and Brandon were at the wall facing the door, elevated higher than anyone else, and the others sitting on the walls facing each other, elevated still. The smallfolk and townspeople sat below, at rows of tables lining the hall.

"What is she doing here?" Arya turned to Jon, "What could she possibly do for the war to come?"

Jon sighed, "Arya, she knows magic, true magic. She says the Lord of Light will protect us. I don't understand..."

"Protect us from what? Cersei Lannister? Magic can't outsmart that woman." Arya cut him off. She knew what he didn't understand. He didn't understand what was so bad about the lady Melisandre.

Jon was confused, "Arya, tell me why..."

"Tell him what you did," Davos called. "Tell him what you did to her."

He couldn't be talking about Arya, Gendry thought, he didn't know Arya.

"Ser Davos," the lady sang, "Perhaps this isn't the time."

He threw down a burned piece of metal, that on closer inspection, Gendry could see it was a stag. Melisandre caught the piece, looked at Davos, then down the stag.

"What is that?" Jon asked. Melisandre stuttered.

"You tell him who it belonged to," Davos said strongly.

After looking down at the burnt stag for a moment, she lifted her eyes to Jon's, "The princess Shireen Baratheon."

"Tell him what you did to her," Davos commanded. After she was silent, Davos yelled, "Tell him!"

Melisandre's eyes were wet with tears. She opened her mouth, "We burned her at the stake." She couldn't look into Jon's eyes anymore. She went on to explain that it was the only way, and she only does what the Lord of Light tells her.

"Your lord tells you to burn children at the stake, your lord is evil!" Davos cried. "I loved that girl like she was my own. She was good, she was kind, and you killed her!" Davos had a stream of tears running down from both eyes. He shook.

"So did her father. So did her mother. So did every bloody witness! The Lord of Light knew it was the only way."

"The only way for what? They all died anyway." Davos dropped his hands. "You murdered an innocent. My queen, for the good of this world, sentence this monster to die."

Danaerys looked at lady Melisandre in disgust and opened her mouth to give the command. "Lady Melisandre. I, Danaerys Targaryen, sentence-"

"Wait," Jon interrupted. The queen looked at him in confusion. "Davos, we need her. I'm alive today because of her. She can save us. I know it." Jon said, solemnly.

Davos pushed his chair back and left the hall with his hand covering his mouth to quiet his cries. Melisandre moved with her head low and took her place. Beside Gendry.

Arya looked at him and he at her. The whole room was silent and no one spoke for the rest of the feast.

The highest table was excused first. Danaerys stood and walked quickly down past the tables. The rest followed. Arya didn't break eye contact with the red witch as she walked out and Gendry didn't take his eyes off of Arya.