vingt quatre | twenty four

Start from the beginning

"9-1-1, what's your emergency?" The dispatcher asked.

"Send somebody, quick! My fiance and I got into a car accident, and she—"

"Sir, are you alright?" The dispatch asked me before I could finish speaking.

"Yes, I'm fine! It's my fiancee, she's dying! Send someone please!" I pleaded, staring at Carmen in sadness.

"Do you know where you are?"

"No, I'm in a ditch!". I shouted, growing impatient and worried for Carmen's chances to live.

"Okay sir, I've tracked your location. Help is on the way, do not worry. Can you give me the name of you and the other person involved?"

"Carmen Brown, and my name is Donald Degrate!"

"Thank you, Mr. Degrate. The ambulance should be on their way." The dispatch said. With that, I hung up and tossed my phone to the side. I couldn't believe it, the love of my life is dying in my arms. The last thing I told her was that I was in love with her, and that I'd die if I lost her. In an instant, she was gone, right in front of my eyes. It's all my fault. If I had never taken her for granted the first time we were married, we'd never have to go on dates in order to make up for the years we've lost. If I had never abused her physically and mentally, she wouldn't have had to resent me for all those years. If I hadn't cheated, she wouldn't have to keep taking me back after I continually broke her heart. If I hadn't left her and our children for another woman, our kids wouldn't hate me, and neither would she. If I had just taken time to love her in the beginning, her life wouldn't have ended early. It's all because of me...

Diane

"Mommy, Mommy! Grandpa's calling!" My daughter, Cecelia, shouted, running towards me while I was watching TV. She must have noticed my phone was ringing in the kitchen while eating, and she wasted no time to bring it to me so I can't miss my call. She's like my little assistant by choice.

"Thank you, my little butterfly." I said sweetly before getting the phone from her grasp.

"You're most ever welcome, mommy." She saluted and went back to the kitchen to finish her snack.

"Hey, papa. How are you?" I smiled.

"Not so good, Diane. I'm not good at all." He said in a broken voice. He sounded as if he had just got done crying. Weird, but alright.

"Why, what happened?"

"Diane, I don't know how to tell you this gently. Are you sitting down right now?"

"Dad, you're really starting to scare me. What's going on?" I adjusted myself. "Are you and mom okay?"

"That's what I wanted to tell you." He started to say before his voice cracked severely. My heart began to race intensely at the curiosity about what he was going to say next. "Sh-she, just passed away." He choked out. I froze.
There was no way that my mother is gone. Absolutely no way. I just saw her about three days ago and she looked fine. He has to be joking.

"Daddy, stop playing with me. This isn't funny at all."

"Diane, I'm serious. Me and your mother just got into a car accident yesterday night. I'm fine, but she didn't make it. We're in the hospital. Please, tell the rest of the family for me since I don't know how to tell them all at once. I'll send you the hospital's address. The doctors tried to save her life in surgery, but it was too late. You know I'd never joke about your mother's life, I love her too much."

"Okay, daddy. I will, see you soon." I said with tears in my eyes.

"I love you, Diane. Remember that."