dix-huit | eighteen

»Je veux du sucre brun«

»I want some of your brown sugar«

February 14, 1998

"Okay, repeat after me: Bonjour, je m'appelle Diane."

"Bonjour, je m'appelle Diane!"

"Good job, baby!" I clapped and gave her a kiss on the cheek. I decided to teach Diane some French early. I was around the same age she was, which is four, almost five. She wanted to learn everything I was saying and seemed very dedicated to knowing French.

"Okay, now let's move onto food and local objects."

"Carmen, turn around." DeVanté's low ass baritone voice scared the shit out of me. Why would I need to turn around? I'm perfectly fine with looking at Diane's beautiful, chubby face. Her eyes glow gracefully in the sunlight, like hazel jewels. Then again, it's either I turn around, or DeVanté turns me around. As slowly as possible, I spun around to see DeVanté with a sweet smile on his face. He looked like a kid with a bunch of untreated cavities.

"Babygirl, happy valentines day." DeVanté pulled out a bunch of flowers and chocolates from behind his back. I looked in awe, I almost forgot about today. I happily accepted the gifts from him and placed them on the island in the kitchen.

"Aww, De." I embraced him in a hug. I feel bad for not getting him anything.

"You don't have to worry about that. Besides, you do have something to give me." DeVanté smirked and rubbed my chin. While he walked away, I looked directly at him. How in the no diggity fuck did he know what I was thinking? His big ass head reads minds way too easily.

"Mommy, can we have a play date with Snow and everyone else?"

"Of course, Diane. I'll call them right now." I smiled. Dashing to the phone, I swiftly picked it up and dialed Lisa, Cynthia, Rozonda, and Kim so they can have all of them over. It seems like a good day in February, sun is shining, and Valentine's day is sweet. No beatings from DeVanté for eight days straight, so that's good.

°

"Diane, tell him to stop touching me!" Snow shouted as loud as possible, probably alarming all of California.

"I didn't do anything."

"Hush, no one asked you, Quincy." Snow shut him down quickly. She has some sort of vendetta against Quincy, just the same way Lisa did back when I was dating Nas. Wow, times really have changed.