onze | eleven

»Je veux t'aimer pour la vie, parce que ton amour est la raison pour laquelle je vis«

»I wanna love you for life, 'cause your love is why I live«

May 30, 1995

"Why the fuck it smell funky in here?" DeVanté yelled, walking down the stairs. He pinched his nose the rest of the way and sat next to me. He looked in the box in horror, just like I was when I opened it. "What in the fuck is that?"

"My uncle's h-head." I choked out. I expected Trevor to send me more gifts or even some of his poems that I of course wouldn't accept. But my uncle's decapitated head? That's one thing, but everyone who knows me knows how sensitive I am about my mother's death. Just looking at those photos give me unwanted flashbacks. I know my uncle might have wanted to hurt me, but did he have to kill him? If he's capable of doing that, imagine what he'll do since he knows where I live.

Back to the present

"And you're probably wondering what he meant by 'break his heart again'. Well, it all happened June tenth in '88, while we were in school..."

June 10, 1988

"I can't wait until we get to leave this hell hole we call school." I groaned to my friend, India, who was writing in her notebook and popping her gum. "Honestly, me too. Summer dick is gonna treat my skinny ass well." She smiled and stuck her tongue out. She oddly reminds me of my cousin, Cynthia, just younger.

"But word on the street is, that someone's feelin' you. And it ain't ya' lil' boyfriend, Nasir."

"Who, a gust of wind?" I laughed. She shook her head no. "Some nigga who graduated when we were freshmen. What's his name? Tyrik? Tarell? Tricycle?" India tried her hardest to remember Trevor. I only know him because he's the older brother of my cousin Cynthia's best friend, Kiamora. He's fine and all, but I have a boyfriend, so that's off the table.

"You mean Trevor? Girl, ain't nobody checking for him. I got a man, and I don't plan on leaving him for a twenty two year old anytime soon." I stated. India side eyed me and went back to writing in her note book. "Okay girl, I'll hold you off on tha-." The final school bell rung, which meant I was finished with highschool forever. Everyone ran out of the classroom and to their friends.

"Li! Ro! Ti!" I ran to my friends. We all got together and group hugged. When we finished hugging, I noticed Lisa and Rozonda make a stank face at me. "What's wrong?" I asked them. Suddenly, someone put their giant hands over my eyes. By Lisa and Rozonda's face, I could tell that it was Nasir.