Chapter 11

The phone call had ended minutes ago. Both Minaal and Faiz were sat still, numb and almost lifeless. Minaal didn't know when Faiz called the travel agents and booked emergency tickets for their travel to Pakistan, she also didn't know when he went inside his room and started packing and then went to hers and packed some of her things too. She was in a lost state unable to comprehend what had happened. All her life she had despised everything her father did and said and now hearing the news of his death, she didn't know how to take it. He was her father after all.

There was also the feeling of guilt in her heart that she didn't return to see him when he was ill. Maybe it would have given them a better closure than the one they were going to get now. There were no tears in her eyes, there was no expression on her face, she hadn't said a word. She was sat in the same position at the same place for hours only to come back to normalcy when Faiz patted on her shoulder to tell her that it was time to leave for airport.

She stood up from the sofa but trembled again. Her legs were numb making it difficult for her to walk. Faiz helped her walk by holding her by her shoulders. They hadn't exchanged any words so far apart from the information about leaving for Pakistan Faiz had given her. Two siblings who never stayed quiet when with each other were now silent for the sixth hour in a row because something was eating them from within. Consuming them. Rocking them to their core. But how ironic was it that they knew nothing yet. What they knew was true or not, it had begun to consume them but what was to hit them was far worse and despite knowing none of it, their hearts were telling them it was not going to be a pleasing ride.

Sidra was waiting outside their apartment to drive them to the airport. Faiz had helped Minaal sit in the car and had exchanged a look with Sidra who was also looking at Minaal with pain-ridden eyes. She patted Faiz on his shoulder and asked him to sit in the car as she took the driving seat for herself and drove towards the airport.

-----------------

"Un dono per nazar rakhna. Jaise hi uska bhai ek taraf ho, tum log Minaal ko pakkar lena. Jab tak woh uske sath hai, hamara kaam nai hosakta."

"Okay Sir. Apka kaam hote hi apko update kareinge."

Sipping the whisky from his glass and with a devilish smirk on his face, he had given strict instructions to his men to ensure that as soon as the two siblings land in Pakistan, they were to be separated.

-----------------

Sidra sat with Minaal while Faiz went to buy something to eat. She was still giving out nothing. Her face showed she was in pain. But where was it? Why was it? No one could tell. Sidra placed her hand on Minaal's but said nothing. She had no words to console her with. The lifeless look Minaal was giving to nothing in particular was telling Sidra, this wasn't the time to do the talk on anything. She wanted to leave this on Faiz. He always handled Minaal better than anyone and she was confident, this time he would too.

Meanwhile Faiz walked over to them and passing a disappointing glance over Minaal, then looked at Sidra who was giving him a sad smile. She got up and held his hand making him sigh in pain as tears began to form in his eyes.

"Apne apko sambhalo Faiz. I know this is tough. But Minaal needs you. She needs you more than anyone else right now. Please khud ko sambhalo aur apna khayal rakho takay Minaal ka bhi rakh sako."

"Meri himmat toot rai hai. Usey deikho, kaise bejaan bethi hai. Aj shaam tak woh itni khush thi Aariz ke sath aur ab... meri behen ko hi kyun saray dukh milte hain? Meine khud ko sambhalna seekh liya hai Sidra, magar mein isey aise nai deikh sakta. Kia bigara hai kisi ka isne jo yeh sab hota hai iske sath. Koi khushi raas nai ati isey."