Chapter 5

Two years later

Sitting at a famous coffee shop in a quieter part of London with a document opened in front of her on the laptop screen, she typed a few more words before sipping some of the hot Latte that was placed on the table. The black bordered spectacles she was wearing for work with her hair tied in a messy bun, the coffee and her thoughts she was typing on the document were giving her an incredible feel of comfort. The comfort she always wanted to have.

The UN agency of refugees will be carrying out a visit to the refugee camps in Syria and Yemen to see the difficulties and problems facing the refugees. On the decision of the Human Rights Court, the UN is now also obliged to send financial and material aid for the refugees residing on the camps. This case was incredibly important for me. Working on it has been a great learning experience. The team leader and the team has been amazing. I look forward to the next hearing in two months when the UN is supposed to present a report to court about their findings and the work they have carried out.

As she typed this, a small grin was constantly playing on her lips. Coming to London two years was not a bad decision after all. She had managed to apply for a Masters-degree in Law with a focus on Human Rights. Something she always wanted to do. After completing her masters, she had joined a known law firm and spent a year working as an assistant solicitor. This was her first year as a qualified human rights lawyer and this case was her first. And it was going well. Her law firm, her research and preparation for the case was so strong that the Human Rights Court was persuaded to instruct the United Nations' Refugee Agency to carry out a study in refugee camps in Syria. All her fellow peers, her friends from university and most important her brother praised her for her incredible success in such a short period of time. She was beginning to see the fulfilment of her dreams and nothing was more comforting and satisfying than this.

She finished typing and after saving the document, turned to check her phone and found multiple missed calls from her brother. She shook her head and dialled the number and waited for him to respond on the other end.

"Is everything okay? Mein café mein kaam kar rai thi, phone silent per tha."

"Haan, sab theek hai. Yaar batao tum Sidra se kab milna chahti ho? Woh mujhse naraaz hoti hai ke mein deliberately nai milwa raha ab usey kon samjhae ek human rights lawyer ka bhai hona asaan kaam nai hai."

Minaal chuckled and shook her head at Faiz's over excited and dramatic self.

"Acha baba ab aisi bhi baat nai hai. I was just working on my report but abhi uskey submission mein time hai, ap log ajaein, mein address bhejti hoon apko. Let's meet!"

"Shukriya janab. Bhejo jaldi!"

Minaal ended the call and immediately texted Faiz the address and just smiled to herself with how better life had been. While she was lost in her thoughts, her phone rang again. A sad smile had reached her lips. It was her mother.

"Assalam o Alaikum Ami. Kaisi hain aap?"

"Mein theek hoon. Tum kaisi ho?"

"Alhamdulilah theek. Baba Jaan kaise hain?"

"Bas aise hi hain. Tabiyat ziyada behter nai hui. Ek heart attack or sath paralysation ke sath banda umeed bhi kia kar sakta hai."

A lone tear had dropped Minaal's eye as pang of guilt was felt in her heart.

"Woh tum dono ko buhat yaad karte hain. Bol nahi patay magar unki awaaz mein tum dono ka naam sunai deta hai. Jaise bhi hain aur jaise bhi thay, tum dono ke baap hain. Unse akay mil lo ek dafa."