Chapter 2

"Hamari society mein advantage sirf larkey ka deikha jata hai. Larki se koi puchta hi nahi ke woh kia chahti hai. Uski kia marzi hai. Sab ko bas larkey ki fikar hoti hai. Aur yehi cheez hamari society mein aurton ko akela kar rai hai. They have been made to feel so helpless that even they don't realise their potential. That they are so strong and that they have a voice which they should use especially when the decisions concern them. Jis larki se mein shaadi karunga usey apna faisla nahi sunaounga balke us sey uska faisla sununga. Chahe woh phir mere haq mein ho ya mere khilaf."

Harris just silently watched his friend to finish what he had to say and admired his every word spoken. No matter how playful and childish they may seem at times, but it was deep conversations like these that Harris always looked forward to having with Aariz. He was young, ambitious, talented and also chilled at times. But there was also the Aariz who believed, the one who knew how deep emotions and feelings run and the one who knew that every individual being matters. Only if that very individual learns to believe.

"You know how much I hate doing this, but you speak sense sometimes and I have to praise you for that."

"I am glad you like to acknowledge that side of mine once in a year."

"Yeah yeah, whatever. But I have done that now, so no further delay and let's get back to earth before you lose your mind with my flattering. It never works well with you."

"Duffer!"

"Kabhi gharoor nai kia!"

--------------

When the deep conversation between Harris and Aariz turned into something funny and then something completely irrelevant, they didn't realise and neither did Minaal or Maliha. And they didn't focus on it either. But that part about marriage stayed with them. Maliha raised her eyebrow and gestured Minaal to listen. She had no idea who the two men were but the words one of them had spoken left a mark on Minaal's mind and heart. She was lost in her own thoughts when Maliha called her name and brought her back to her surroundings.

"Kuch dimagh mein gaya hai tumhare ke nahi? Look Minaal, mein tumhari hi behtari ke liye keh rai hun. Har baat tum apne father ki maanti ho, kamazkam ek toh apni marzi se puri karlo."

Minaal shook her head as if she was not bothered about anything anymore. There was room for nothing.

"Acha choro yeh sab. Abhi pura maheena hai. kuch na kuch ho hi jayega. Batao kia khaogi, let's order something."

Maliha had guessed that Minaal was not in mood to take sides that were against her father. So, for now, she dropped the topic and moved on to food. After having lunch, Maliha dropped Minaal to her house before driving away. The day had come with its own twists and turns but there was always hope for tomorrow in Minaal's diary. No matter how little and unfulfilled it may seem, she never stopped hoping.

--------------

Two weeks later

The weekend was busier than usual. The family of Hussain Agha was meeting Shahnawaaz and his family to decide over the final bit of arrangements over the wedding. The dinner was set at Lahore's most expensive and lavish restaurants. It was also an opportunity for Minaal to meet the man who was chosen as her suitor by her father.

Least to say, she was unbothered about both parts of the dinner, but she had no choice but to be present and that too at her best. She wore a black pishwas with a semi-formal dupatta that she wore as a hijab to cover her hair. She had opted for a simple make-up look merely because that's how she liked it. she was never a fan of cosmetics. She liked her looks simply so she went for the same route in this scenario.