Nolan hesitated. "With Nora," he said. "She hired me to help her with a film project."

Another nod. Silence.

"I know you don't understand why I don't want you to get a job." Clunk.

Nolan picked at a crack in the tabletop.

"I know you want to help." Clunk.

Greg looked up, his eyes glazed with tears. His jaw worked back and forth. "When Mom and Dad died," he muttered, "I gave up a lot of things."

I know.

"And I wouldn't give up what I have with you and Caleb. You guys are everything, you know?" He sniffed. "But...I don't want you to have to grow up as fast as I did, Nolan. Mom and Dad would never..." He let out a shaky breath of air. Closed his eyes. A couple tears escaped.

Nolan grabbed Greg by the shoulder and pulled him into an embrace. Greg hugged back. "I understand," Nolan said.

Greg nodded.

"But," he continued, "Mom and Dad wouldn't be angry if I got a job."

Greg pulled away. He didn't answer, but waited for Nolan to continue. Listening.

"They were always suggesting places, remember?" he asked. "And Mom was always talking about how we had to work together and help each other out."

"That was to get us to stop arguing while shoveling the driveway."

"So?"

Greg smiled and shook his head.

"You love school," Nolan said.

"I know."

"You can't do school and all of these jobs by yourself."

"I know."

"Mom and Dad would want me to help you," Nolan said. "And I want to help you. Besides. The only thing that'll change with me having a job is that you get to quit the one you hate most."

Greg's eyebrows rose. "Really."

"Yeah."

It was quiet as Greg slouched forward; eyes closed. Time ticked on, and Nolan leaned forward, checking. Had Greg fallen asleep while struggling to come up with a reply?

"Okay," Greg murmured.

"Yeah?"

His eyes opened. "Yeah."

Nolan sucked in a deep breath, relishing in the new looseness in his chest. How long had that weight been sitting there?

He glanced over his shoulder. Nora would probably be finished changing by now. "I need to clean my room," he said, pushing away from the table. "You good?"

"Yeah," Greg said. "I'm good."

Nolan patted Greg's shoulder and started out of the kitchen. He had just reached the hall when Greg's voice stopped him.

"Nolan."

He turned.

"Is she okay?" Greg asked.

"No," he said.

Greg nodded. Nolan left.

Nolan hefted a large pile of dirty laundry from the floor and teetered.

"You want help?" Nora asked. She sat cross-legged on the bed, her face propped up on one fist. She was smiling, laughter in her eyes, and he would have been more relieved had it not been for the overhead light showcasing the bruise for the harsh blow it had been.