I shrug. "Don't think I can beat a stolen tavern sign, sorry."

"You are such a downer", Gwaine groans, flicking my hair as he rides past. I glare at him as he does. "Have any of you noticed that?"

"And you're a pain in the arse. Have you ever noticed?" I throwback, swatting his hand away. The group burst into a fit of laughter, Gwaine pouting.

"So, tell me, Edythe", Arthur's voice booms from the head of the group, everyone quickly becomes quiet. "How does a woman such as yourself become a well-known thief?"

"A woman such as myself?" I repeat, my head tilting to the side.

"He means, how is a stunning beauty as yourself a notorious thief?" Gwaine chimes, Percival slapping him over the back of his head immediately after "Owe!" I roll my eyes.

"That's not what I meant", Arthur perks up, quickly defending himself. "I'm just curious."

The group falls silent again, waiting for me to respond with a long heartfelt story about how I became a criminal instead of some farmer or nobleman's wife. I remain silent myself, with no intention of pouring my life story to these men. When realising this is how it will be, Arthur speaks again.

"Surely you have something to say? Nothing you want to tell someone before...." he becomes distant, realising he may have added too much.

"I'm hung?" I finish for him. The king winces at my harsh tone. "Well. I've never been one for sappy stories. A death sentence isn't going to change my feelings on the matter."

"Come on", Gwaine perks up. "There has to be something."

"Gwaine-" Elyan begins to warn.

"And of all the people I could tell, why would it be you?" I question Gwaine, glaring at him.

"She has a point", Percival offers. Gwaine glares at Percival.

"Maybe it's not time for her to tell her story", Merlin starts, his voice smaller than the others but straightforward. "Gaius says a person will tell their story when they are ready because if they are to tell it, it is no longer theirs to hold onto. They have to let it go."

Leon grins. "Being a little sentimental, Merlin?"

"No. I just like the poetry," Merlin grins back.

A hint of relief and gratitude wash over me as Merlin converts the conversation away. I would have been just as curious as to the others in his position. But he has helped take the line of fire off me, and I'm grateful, but why did he do that? Nobody ever helps me, it's always been that way, of course apart from Iseldir, but that's a different story. This only adds more questions about what is up with this young man.

Luckily, the knights choose to leave me alone after this. They get lost in a story about this man, Gaius's many philosophies he told Merlin. Strangely enough, this Gaius sounds like a skilled physician and good friend to each of the men in this group. He sounds brilliant and logical, very in tune with the world. I would be more than eager to meet this gentleman in other circumstances. Alas, life has different plans for me. I don't think I'll find myself travelling through Camelot again anytime soon.

The group comes to a halt, the day escaping us, darkness falling across the green flora like a wave. The men get to work setting up camp, two still watching me, while the others scurry around the forest for firewood and other supplies. Leon feeds a rope through my shackles then ties the rope to a tree. It allows me a little room to move around, meaning sleep will again be in shortage. I might get my chance in the darkness of night to escape.

I watch on as Merlin gets a fire started, lowering myself to the ground to lean myself up against the tree. My legs are stiff from riding all day. My wrists are no better, now completely bruised and aching from the harsh metal around them. The fork under my sleeve calls to me, but I scroll myself for even thinking about it yet.

The Emerald Thief - Merlin BBC [1]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें