Chapter 2: Company of Knights

Start from the beginning

I'm still dazed by the voice, unable to make sense of it as I feel Gwaine's presence. His sword is drawn, breath heavy from running. I turn with my hands raised in defeat, now plagued with a headache. I couldn't run now. Even if I ultimately had my bearings back even before, I couldn't have gained enough distance, never mind now with my headache.

Gwaine stares at me, confused as I close my eyes and allow the druid's words to play over in my head. He said to go to Camelot. I need to go there. But why? He wants me to go to Camelot...so I guess I have no choice but to go with these Knights of stupidity. Iseldir wouldn't have given me this information for no reason. To communicate from such a distance would have taken a lot of energy, which means this is important somehow. But how is the question.

I open my eyes to see a very confused and alert Gwaine. Seeing his face, I'm reminded of Percival, feeling my gut sinking at the thought of what trouble I'll be in for that. "Shoot..." I wisp. I  don't suppose any of these men are healers either, only making me feel guiltier, something that I don't often feel.

Letting out a long breath, I state, "I'm sorry I hurt Percival." My words should show that I'm going to come willingly, and if I play the sympathy card, I might get in less trouble. If Iseldir is sending me to Camelot, I must get out of this...right?

Gwaine smiles in amusement. "Good try, missy, but that doesn't work on me."

I roll my eyes. "Was worth the try."

I push Gwaine's sword out of my face with the back of my fingers, beginning the trek back to the group. Gwaine follows, his sword directed at my back. I roll my eyes once more.

All eyes fall on me as I stride back to the group, retrieving my leather bag from the horse on my way. I sink to my knees in front of Percival, pulling out the few herbs and medical equipment I have. This action gains a few confused looks.

"What? I presume none of you has much skill in healing," I sass, glaring up at the men gathered around.

Leon frowns. "But why are you helping?"

"Cause I'm the only qualified person, apparently."

"But-"

"Do you want my help or not?" I snap, pausing to look back up at the leader. The group falls silent, Leon and Elyan looking at Gwaine for clarification as to if he knew what changed my mind. After all, I was the one who caused the injury. Gwaine shrugs, just as confused as the others.

Turning back to Percival, I reach out for his shoulder, the man immediately jerking away. I give him a knowing look, feeling so bad for stabbing the knight all for nothing. It's even worse at the thought he seems to be a friendly enough gentleman. I may be a thief, but I still have a little decency to know I screwed up and need to fix it myself.

"I'm sorry...I can heal it. If you let me?" I apologise, sympathy in my voice, which I would usually despise. I'm not good at showing my emotions, but I know how to mimic what others do.

Percival stares in confusion, his thoughts running wild in that head of his. I can see the idea of refusal clear in his face, but then he winces in pain and gives into the idea of a long ride home in agony. He nods in defeat but doesn't say anything.

If Iseldir had connected with me moments earlier. Ugh, perhaps I'd be in less trouble than I'm going to be in now and wouldn't have found myself being...sympathetic. The least I can do now to stop myself from going insane over Iseldir's words is to help Percival.

I lean forward, ignoring the swords that are now drawn and pointed in my general direction. I push the chainmail aside to get a better look at the wound. I wince as I see the severed flesh and splattered tissue. I did an excellent job of it. Chances are, a scar will be left behind. I get to work, apologising every time Percival groans or winces.

It hadn't taken me much time to fix Percival up, enough for him to get up and go until he could see a skilled physician. Not much else was said after that. The men were now alert and less careless around me, and the journey only became more tedious because of that fact.

I now ride on the rear of Leon's bay horse, the head man insisting I be monitored closely by himself and the others. I had joked about suspecting distrust, only to receive silence. I'm beyond all the niceties now.  

Of course, Leon and Elyan double-checked me for any weapons before we continued. It was awkward for all three of us but necessary. 

Silence remains. The sound of horse hooves against dirt and screeching leather against the moving animals fills my ears. Twilight overcomes the earth, the beaming sun beginning to set, and the glow reveals the stone structure in the distance.

I stare in awe, the beauty of the white castle far more magnificent than described. Camelot. What a stunning place it is, for so much death and torment its walls have held.

The words Iseldir had spoken filled my mind, contradicting what I had thought. Camelot is my destiny, and here I will find what I seek, or so Iseldir has foreseen. What do I desire? There's not much I want. I lead a simple life, taking what comes for what it is.

What does Camelot offer me besides death and punishment? Surely Iseldir could not have been right? I must be insane to believe in such words. Perhaps he was wrong, and I am destined to die here. This is the final resting place of Edythe, the petty thief. 

With the men now in better spirits, we advance through the lower town of Camelot. All eyes are on me. People look on from their stales, homes and taverns. Some with curiosity, others with disapproval and disgust. It is clear to the people that I have committed a crime, all possibly having descriptions of me thanks to the courtesy of King Olaf. Once having got a good look at me, the people return to their work and daily routine. This probably is part of the daily routine for most.

Finally, getting past the public humiliation, we arrive in the square. The castle walls now tower over me like a cage, making me snicker at the thought. The similarities to Olaf's kingdom are too vibrant, only reminding me how bad my situation is. Two castles I've been to now under the authorities in such a short time. I suppose not everything good lasts forever.

I'm pulled from the horse, ropes now becoming shackles as the new knights harshly yank me around like an animal. I'm used to being hunted and wanted for my lifestyle, but being a common criminal among the five kingdoms is downgrading. I'm not too fond of it already.

This isn't how I wanted to go out. But here we are. 

Leon follows the two new knights drag me through the stone hallways. I barely get my footing as they hurry along, not even giving me a second glance. Servants watch us pass with shocked faces, some even jumping out of the way in fright as the knights escort me to the dungeons. The sunlight completely disappears with the first flight of stairs, all darkness and lit touches by the second flight.

The cell comes into view, the dark bars sturdy already giving me anxiety from the thought of being on the other side of them. Yanking open the door, the knights rip the shackles off my wrists, throwing me into the cell. I lose my footing but gain my balance as I hit the back wall, the stone structure supporting me. Just like that, Leon and the knights are gone, leaving me to the silence of the holding cell.