Chapter 2: Company of Knights

Start from the beginning

The other Knights chuckle. "She's a feisty one, isn't she?" Gwaine cackles.

"Two minutes. No more," Leon commands, something else said under his breath.

The group rein their horses to a halt. The men return to conversation whilst Percival swings his leg off the horse and jumps down. He turns back to help me off the horse because of my tied hands. My nose scrunches up in disgust at the intimacy of the act. I see the thought run through Percival's head also, causing a scrunched look to wash over his face. Both of us are now very uncomfortable.

He leads me over to a thick tree while the other knights quiet down to whisper amongst themselves. They're talking about me, strategy, or maybe the reward they will receive. Typical. I wonder if they'll be punished for losing me?

Mid squat to receive the dagger, I notice Percival still watching me. "Ah, could you maybe...turn around? I am a woman, you know. I know I'm under arrest and all, but I would still like to keep my virtue. So, like, at least a little privacy would be nice. Could you at least be kind enough to look away?"

"Right, sorry," Percival apologises. He turns in many directions, cheeks flushing red as he quickly finds something else to look at.

I smirk at myself, loving the way I can make people squirm. Silently leaning on my back, I hold my leg up, pulling the dagger from the dark leather. I cut at the rope as I fall back onto my feet. Proving to be more challenging than anticipated, I'm forced to pull my hand up in a painful direction to encourage the rope to release. Unfortunately, Percival hears, causing him to turn with caution.

Adrenaline pumping through me, I jump into action. I embed the dagger into Percival's shoulder with brute force. The man cries out, tumbling backwards, giving me a gap to run. Not sitting around to see the damage I have done, I bolt into the forest again. My legs burn from all the running that I've been doing lately. I hear the wailing of pain; a pinch of guilt reaches my gut.

I mentally advised myself not to look back, the green blur of flora rushing past me. My eyes remain ahead, staring out into the dense ocean of forest, yet my mind remains behind.

Cursing, curiosity gets the better of me. I allow a glance over my shoulder. Leon and Elyan rush to their comrade's side, both panicked. A movement catches my eye, Gwaine's figure now appearing on my trail in a sprint. Mentally hounding myself for looking back, I shriek, pushing on in full sprint. I don't know Gwaine's strength, but my better judgment, I know he'll gain on me in no time, so I must lose him.

Edythe. Stop running! I shriek as waves vibrate through my head like rocks, causing my head to pound. Panic now erupts, my gut-churning and heart beating through my chest. Stop running!

I come to a halt, not by the voice's orders, but because of a sheering pain all over my body, possibly the voice's doing. Each word the voice speaks makes my head pound like thunder, causing the blue sky to circle above me.

Camelot is your destiny. There you will find what you seek. Stop running...

The voice becomes distant, the pain fading, the voice echoing like it is moving away. I'd recognise that voice from anywhere. Iseldir. He has always possessed the ability to speak to others through their thoughts. Something few possess. Although it's never caused pain like this, no doubt Iseldir was purposeful doing to make me do as he says.

Camelot, Edythe. Camelot. His voice now far away, my mind clearing like a fog has been lifted. I blink for a moment, having to remember where I am, all time and space out of order.

I take a moment to gain my bearings, the sound of thudding feet on the ground getting closer to me as my senses come back. Only now do I realise I've hunched into myself from the pain. Straightening up, tingles run through my muscles. The feeling of confusion takes over as I place my hand on my head, trying to make out the words Iseldir had said. What did he mean by Camelot is my destiny?