Chapter 19

It was dark by the time they had reached the ministry. Lightening tore through the dusky skies as thunder ripped a hole in the silence. An omen. The pit of her stomach lurched as she dismounted the invisible creature. Perhaps it was the fear of the unknown. Perhaps it was the fear that they had arrived too late. Taking a deep breath, grey eyes cast upwards to the building that towered over her; somehow making the young witch feel even more insignificant in the world. A gentle hand grazed hers, pulling grey to emerald in silent support.

However, the feelings of unease did not diminish as she followed Harry into the building. A heavy silence still suffocating their friends amongst the exchange of worried glances. As the gold-gilded elevator slid to a stop at the end of a deep, dark corridor, no one dared to step out. Black tiles cut with white grout covered each surface, reflecting every inch of the dimmed lighting that shone overhead. Finally, the group stalked forward; huddled like penguins protecting one another from an icy force. Nova shivered. Gargoyles cast shadows above them as they pushed forward, finally reaching the dark door with a single brushed gold doorknob.

"This is it." Harry affirmed, staring ahead as the Malfoy girl swallowed heavily and met Ron's stare. The redhead offering a nod in reassurance. Darkness grew darker as the small group inched through the doorway. A thunderous rumble shaking the walls around them as the door slid shut of its own accord. Grasping her wand a little tighter, Nova whispered a brief Lumos; grey eyes widening as they examined the room. Tall shelved units spanned as far as the eye could see, each one cradling orbs filled with a dust-like mist. "He should be right here!"

The witch's eyes were drawn to the Potter boy as he pointed to the ground a few feet in front of them. An uneasy feeling forced the hairs on the back of her neck to stand to attention. She shivered once more.

"Harry, this one has your name on it." Neville's voice echoed through the long hallway, drawing the group towards where he stood mesmerised by a crystal ball; not dissimilar to the ones they often used in Divination. As the raven-haired girl approached him, he nodded towards the brass that held the orb like a priceless jewel. "Yours too."

Grey met emerald before landing on the etched plaque; dust almost rendering it unreadable. It was dated just over sixteen years ago and read:

S.P.T to A.P.W.B.D

Dark Lord, (?) Harry Potter and Nova Malfoy

The pair stared at it, confusion clouding their minds. Suddenly as if compelled, Harry's hand reached forward forcing Nova's to grab it. Her breath suddenly shaky and her heart hammering so loudly that it drowned out the words of warning from Hermione. Their clasped hands remained motionlessly suspended in the air as their eyes met once more. A conflicted frown twisting dark brows as the girl struggled with curiosity and fear. Harry squeezed her hand gently as he pulled away from her and finally lifted the crystal ball from its stand. A distant and eerie voice erupted from it, causing the group of teenagers to jump; a white light illuminating their faces.

"Those with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approach.

One born to those who thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies with power that the Dark Lord knows not.

One to those who always obeyed, born to welcome the sixth. A mind-walker with the ability to challenge him.

The Dark Lord will mark one his equal, whilst the other is no stranger - a lion from a line of snakes.

Either must die at the hand of their equal, to prevent the mind-walker from dying a martyr.

For neither can live whilst the other survives."