Chapter 15

Disclaimer: I do not own the Harry Potter world; all rights go to J.K Rowling. I do however own my original character Nova Malfoy and her background.

"Bloody hell." Ron huffed, slamming his Charms textbook shut and snapping Nova out of her daydream as she stared at him with an eyebrow raised. "All morning I've been handing you reasons to mock me and you've just hummed at them. You must be the only person alive that wouldn't throw a party because they're being ignored by Malfoy."

"Shut up." Nova scowled lightly before sighing loudly, "How long do you expect me to stay here with you? Unless you have a spell that will allow you to swap your brain with that of a newt, you aren't going to pass your O.W.Ls anyway."

"Pathetic...you are miserable." Ron assessed, grinning as she stared at him with a deadpanned expression. "But I guess it's the thought that counts." He shrugged dodging her crumpled up attempt at Charms homework as it was launched towards his face.

After being hushed by Madam Pince for the third time, Ron went back to studying and Nova returned to twirling her quill absentmindedly. Her mind pondered the various situations that might occur should she lose control in school once more, with Dumbledore on the run from the Ministry and her brother actively avoiding her, it was a worry that had planted itself at the forefront of her subconscious and continued to grow with every new rule that the new headmistress had put into place. As the redhead in front of her muttered about their exams, she considered the very real possibility of having to return home. Her face visibly paled at the very thought of returning to the manor and her pulse raced as she realised the house guests that she would be forced to co-exist with. As she entertained the idea, she inevitably concluded that she would rather die and it did not take a genius to know that should her twin value his loyalty to his father, over his loyalty to her, a few of her father's "friends" would quite happily arrange it. The collar of her shirt had suddenly felt as if it had shrunk a few inches, depriving her of air as Hermione and Harry joined them in the quiet corner at the back of the library.

Hermione glanced over her shoulder at the near empty parchment as she sat down beside the dark-haired girl, before she leaned across her and turned to the relevant chapter in the textbook. Nova pulled at her tie as if it were strangling her as her face remained the sickly pale colour that often donned her brother's expression.

"Are you okay?" Harry asked, a frown of concern as she finally took a deep breath and snapped her gaze to him.

"You look like you've seen a ghost." Hermione added, concern etching across her brow.

"Or thought about one..." The girl mumbled in response before looking at each of the people who sat around them. "I'm worried. With Umbridge as headmistress, I can't afford to have any...accidents."

As the trio nodded in understanding, Hermione suddenly sat up straight as if she had just remembered something of the utmost importance before delving into a story about how Ernie Macmillan had overheard that the gargoyle outside of Dumbledore's office had refused Umbridge entry and so she had to remain in her old office: "I expect she really fancied herself sitting up there, above all of the other teachers. "The witch grinned, "The stupid puffed-up, power crazy old..."

"Do you really want to finish that sentence, Granger?" A smug voice sang out from behind them, "Afraid I'm going to have to dock a few points from Gryffindor." Nova refrained from rolling her eyes as her brother jeered at her friend. Keeping her gaze firmly on the textbook, she ignored him, much to his disdain.

Ron frowned at the boy before stating: "You can't dock points."

"Members of the Inquisitorial Squad – a select group of students who are supportive of the ministry of magic and handpicked by Professor Umbridge can, Weasel King." Draco responded tauntingly, "So I will have five points from you, Granger, for being rude about our new headmistress. Five from you, Weaselbee, your shirt is untucked and Potter, ten from you because I don't like you and well...obvious reasons." The boy sneered glancing at his twin who could feel his icy stare on her back yet refused to give him the satisfaction of a reaction. "Oh...I almost forgot, you're a Mudblood, Granger, I had better take another ten."