Chapter 12

Disclaimer: I do not own the Harry Potter world, all rights go to J.K Rowling. I do however own my original character Nova Malfoy and her background. 

Her blood boiled as she stormed into the Great Hall. Fred and George remained loyally behind her as her brother snuck off to the Slytherin table to watch her actions from a distance. The chatter of her peers fell on deaf ears as the young witch saw nothing but a red haze as her feet carried her to the Gryffindor table. Within seconds, the crumpled magazine was slammed atop of the table – in front of the raven-haired boy who jumped as the goblets of pumpkin juice leapt into the air before landing gracefully.

The table fell silent as her friends glanced at her cautiously and her glare remained on the boy. Harry squirmed under her silence as his green eyes examined the article and his expression changed from one of utter confusion to one of dawning realisation. Her breath was shaky as her body trembled with the power of a searing hot rage.

"Nova..."

"Don't. I don't want your excuses this time, I don't care for them anymore." The Malfoy girl interrupted, her voice as cold as ice and her eyes stripped of all warmth. "Save them for your friends."

"You are my friend." Harry muttered uselessly, his eyes silently pleading with the girl.

Nova laughed humourlessly as she glanced to the side, fully aware that her brother was watching her every move and required a reaction. An inferno burned deep within her as the beast threatened to expose her and her inner snake hissed for freedom. The entire hall fell silent and several professors twitched as she bellowed: "Friends don't ruin each other's lives – their families!" The sheer power of her presence was enough to send a tremor through the viewing wizards and witches as the candles flickered violently. "You may see the Malfoys as your enemies but you would do well to remember that I am one of them." Her voice once again filling the hall with the final words before she leant closer to the person that she had trusted more than anyone and lowered her tone to a deathly hiss. "And we could destroy you in the blink of an eye."

A few gasps flickered through the hall as she clicked her fingers causing every present copy of the Quibbler to explode into ash. Dumbledore watched the transaction with a passive expression as Umbridge squeaked at the end of the top table. Power flooded her system as she stormed out of the room, somehow slamming the large golden doors behind her. The pure rush of adrenaline that accompanied her magic forced an almost sickening smile to crack through her features and her now cold grey eyes shone bright with a spark of undeniable charm.

"I told you it wasn't a good idea." Hermione muttered flatly as she watched the occupants of the Great Hall forcefully peel their eyes from Harry as they whispered to one another. A scowl crossed her face as she witnessed Draco's triumphant smirk and the Slytherins cackled.

"Of all the Death Eaters, you chose to name her father? Toss pot." Ron sighed as he shook his head.

Swallowing, Harry drew circles in the pile of ash in front of him: "I didn't think."

"You never think, that's the problem." Hermione reprimanded as she gathered her things.

Fred nodded in agreement as he reached across the table and shoved a chip into his mouth. "You never get on well for very long." He sighed, sipping from Ginny's pumpkin juice. "No wonder she thinks that you'll never work as friends." He added nonchalantly.

Harry's heart sank as he looked at the twins with a frown, not unlike the ones plastered on Ron and Hermione's brows. George's glare hadn't gone unnoticed as he pushed his twin's shoulder, silently scolding him for divulging one of their friend's secrets.