Chapter 3

Disclaimer: I do not own the Harry Potter world, all rights go to J.K Rowling. I do however own my original character Nova Malfoy and her background.

Nova sat in the common room with the Fred and George, who had joined her shortly after she had left the feast. She laughed as they oozed with excitement over the new line of Skiving Snackboxes and their plans to start a business – the older duo had informed the younger girl that Harry had given them his winnings from the Triwizard Tournament (with the promise that she would keep it a secret). The girl had grown rather fond of the twins and they had become fast friends of hers despite the age gap; she felt at ease with them as they completely understood her feelings and her loyalty to her twin. In truth, the witch didn't feel the slightest drop of guilt at storming out of the Great Hall the way she did; she would do anything to protect her brother, even if it meant momentarily disappointing her friends. Nova Malfoy was very much her own person, used to being alone and depending on no one, and that was a trait that she knew would come back to bite her but as she sat in the company of her new friends she realised that perhaps individuality wasn't such a bad thing. That small notion helped the young Malfoy to quickly adjust to ignoring the whispers and inquisitive glances that appeared to follow her more closely than her shadow. She took solace in the circular tower as she realised that her fellow Gryffindors had accepted her and the topic of conversation was back to the very person she had just snapped at. Silence soon snuffed out the loud accusations of lies and ignorance regarding Voldemort's return as Harry entered the common room – Nova rolled her eyes at the underwhelming subtlety as George grinned at her expression.

Whilst Harry argued with Seamus Finnegan because his mother believed the Potter boy was lying about the return of the Dark Lord, the rest of the students watched. Nova felt a slight compulsion to stand up for the Boy Who Lived but she inevitably decided to keep her head down and cherish the moment, revelling in the fact that she had successfully blended into the background. As Ron entered and broke up the argument, the Malfoy took that as her chance to slip out unnoticed and head to the girl's dormitory.

The whole experience was overwhelming – new school, new bed, new friends – and so she was glad when she finally sat down on her four poster bed beside the window. She craved silence.

*

A cold bony hand clutched her ankle as she kicked and thrashed, desperate to get away. Shadows shimmered around her as the water seeped into her lungs. Her limbs turned blue and her eyes burned as blood flushed to their surface. Waves crashed into her, tossing her to and fro as the hand squeezed her ankle and yanked her downwards. Her brunette waves flew ahead of her as she was propelled backwards and her tiny fingertips tingled as a fire burned deep within her core, desperate to cling onto life. Seaweed tendrils gripped her throat, tightening with every moment, crushing her. As her lungs burned and she sunk further and further and her hands reached up and up, an almighty roar escaped her lips.

She shot up in her bed, trembling uncontrollably. She was frozen to the bone as she scanned the worried faces who glanced down at her. A soft hand wrapped around her arm and pulled her from the warmth of her new bed and it was then that she noticed the destruction. Her grey eyes swam with fear and her stomach churned as she took in the flame licked curtains. Her hands trembled as she was gently guided over the shattered glass and strewn books, past the fearful eyes of the girls who shared her dorm. Her mind flushed into overdrive: she could have hurt someone.

"I'm...I'm so sorry." She muttered as the girls told her they were fine. Salted tears scorched a cut that had appeared on her face, diluting the blood and forcing it to glide down her pale cheeks. In a daze, she was steered out of the common room, where the boys had heard the scream that pierced the walls and awaited information. Unable to comprehend their stares or process what had happened, she stared straight ahead. "Where's Draco?" she managed to ask in her dumbfounded state, "I need my brother."