Chapter 14

Disclaimer: I do not own the Harry Potter world; all rights go to J.K Rowling. I do however own my original character Nova Malfoy and her background.

Nova,

I hope this finds you well. I received your last letter and I am glad to hear that you are doing well in most of your classes. I am proud of you. It can't be easy with everything that has been happening around you.

I read Harry's article. Don't worry, I made sure that he was made aware of his thoughtlessness although from what I hear, you did a very good job of that yourself!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Love,

Snuffles.

----

Snuffles,

I wish I could see you. I am having a lot of trouble with my magic...my legilimency is overbearing – do you know what it is like to constantly hear everyone's deepest and darkest thoughts? I hate it.

I fear that I am destined to be a Dark Wizard. I have drained the life from a plant by simply staring at it and I have been having very...interactive nightmares.

I know that the Floo network is being monitored and so you cannot appear in the fireplace but I need a little advice. A little part of home, I guess and I definitely do not mean the manor - I miss my parents but I fear that there is a distance there that I cannot lessen. Harry and I have resolved our differences but I worry that it may not be for long, we are just too different and although I blame him, I know that it is not his fault. I have a talent for pushing people away...

Do not worry about me - despite the contents of this letter, I am okay.

Love always,

NM.

----

Potions first thing in the morning was something that most students would groan at but not Nova. Usually, she adored potions as it was something that came naturally to her – a gift that she had inherited from her father and one of the things that had brought them closer. However on this particular morning, Professor Snape had assigned a potion that the young witch had brewed a number of times whilst being home-schooled and so she had naturally mixed it before her peers had even reached the third step in their tatty old textbook, leaving her mind to wander into dangerous territories.

Yawning from lack of sleep, she tapped her quill incessantly against the table – occasionally pausing to correct her brother as he huffed in annoyance and swore under his breath. Her head pounded as she concentrated on ignoring the whispers of thoughts that waltzed around the classroom; a private show for her eyes only. Rubbing her temples, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath before looking up. Her eyes connected with his, filtering through his memories before she had the chance to look away.

"Miss Malfoy." Snape drawled causing the girl to wince, knowing that she had really done it this time. "With me. Now."

Draco sent her a questioning look as she stood from her stool beside him and followed the professor out of the dungeon classroom, rolling her eyes at Ron as he snickered. She felt like a prisoner being marched to the gallows as she traipsed behind the long black ropes that polished the floor with every step. The deathly silence was punishment enough but as they reached the large griffin that guarded the door to the office, she swallowed and prepared for the argument that would inevitably ensue.

"What can I do for you, Severus?" A voice rung out from behind the large wooden desk as the morning sunshine reflected off the golden surfaces, illuminating his beard with streams of light.