Chp. 37: Familiar Face

"You're being absolutely ridiculous," 

"I am not. Someone has to teach you some discipline," 

"Jack, I am more disciplined than all of you combined," 

"Your track record of disappearing then appearing in a different state begs to differ," 

Kenny rolled her eyes. "Will someone cut in here?" 

"I will," 

"Not you, Spot." 

"Well, ouch," 

"I am an adult now, I don't have to listen to you," She stood up to Jack. 

"As a, uh, trusted source, I's can vouch for exactly how much adult she is," Spot added. 

Both Kenny and Jack turned their heads toward the Brooklynite. Kenny feigned shock, and Jack, well, let's say if looks could kill, Spot would've been dead into yesterday. 

"You know what? I don't like your attitude," Jack said. "I'm not sure you're a good influence on my sister," 

Race laughed from his spot in the corner where he and Rosaline were watching this all unfold. 

"Jack, please, he's been a bad influence on me since I was fifteen," 

"There's still hope for you, Kenny. Him? Not a chance," 

"Come on, Jacky boy, stop playing dad and let my goil off her leash, would ya?" 

"No." 

"Fine, ya know, since we's bein' honest and all, let's talk about how you treat her like she's still five," Spot said. 

"Why don't we talk about how you still act five?" He countered. 

"Jack, really?" 

"What are they arguing about, again?" Rosaline asked Race. 

"I don't really remember. I think they wanted to go somewhere, and he said no," 

"Listen you two," Kenny held them both away from each other by the shoulders. "You're going to be family one day, so you need to learn to get along." 

Jack furrowed his brows. "Family?" 

She blinked. "Like, you know, Spot and I are going to be married one day, making you, um, family," 

"Right," 

"Well, if you ladies are done arguing, Spot and I have some things to pack." 

"Oh, right, she's moving to Brooklyn," Race said to Rosaline. 

"Kenny, this is your home," Jack said, trying to tug on her hand as she started for the stairs of Kloppman's. 

"No," She said, pointing to Spot. "That is my home," 

Spot grinned at Jack as Kenny was out of earshot. "Usually she calls me other things, but 'home' is nice too," 

"Well, now you're just asking to die." Race commented. 

"I'm keeping my eye on you, Conlon. She's suffered so much from you, I'm sure she has at least seven years taken off her life." 

"You's forgettin' she cheated on me once. But sure, blame everything on me," 

"I will." 

"What brought this whole moving thing on, anyway?" Race asked. 

"The doctor said she can't be walking from Manhattan to Brooklyn as much anymore," Rosaline replied.