Chp. 7: Christmas

"No, no, no! We must have poinsettias!" Anne Vanderbilt, frustrated, said. 

"I'm sorry, ma'am, there is no more--" 

"I'm sure you can make some appear," William Vanderbilt said in his intimidating business-man voice. The florist nervously nodded before leaving. "Dear, why do you fret so?" 

"I apologize for stressing, but this Christmas must be perfect. The Buckley's entire family will be staying, and we must impress them. They will be our family too, once the wedding takes place." 

"Darling, I assure you, we are Vanderbilts. They should be impressing us," 

Anne laughed good-heartedly with her husband.  

"I must go find the twins and Kendall. The tailor should be here any moment for dress fittings," 

"I must find the boys for their suit fittings," 

"Merry Christmas," 

"Indeed," 

Kendall was having tea with Rosaline, Cornelius' eldest daughter, who was home from college for the holidays. 

"Girls--Oh, Rosaline, when did you arrive?" Aunt Anne hugged her tightly. 

"Just this morning, Aunt Anne. Kendall tells me we have dress fittings for the Christmas party," 

"Yes, which we are late for. Come find the twins," 

<>

"Mine is perfect, thank you," Aunt Anne says. "You girls continue, I must go find the caterer and set that up." 

The woman walked off, stressing about decorations and food choices. 

"Aunt Anne must never relax," Rosaline says. 

"She really doesn't, but she is the backbone of the family," 

"So, I hear the Buckley's will be attending. Word from the maids is you're engaged to one of them." Rosaline grins her perfect smile. 

"Eric Buckley, yes. Just recently," 

"Rosaline, they are just gorgeous together!" Laurel squealed. 

"Rosaline has a suitor of her own," Patricia boasts of her sister. 

"Oh, sisters, please. I am friends with a man from Pennsylvania," 

"A Pennsylvanian in Rhode Island? Not too unusual," She says. 

"He's got a lovely accent. Have you ever heard a Northern one?" 

"I have," She almost smiled. 

"But, I fear he is a bit boring," Rosaline sighs as the tailor takes in an inch on her waist. "That's good, right there. I want a man who is a challenge, you know? One that won't just ask me what I will make for supper," 

She liked Rosaline. 

"I just want a man," Patricia grinned. 

"You two are sixteen, you will find one soon enough,"

"I want one now!"

Rosaline shook her head at their childish behavior. "When is the wedding?" 

"That is the magical question, isn't it. Not anytime soon, I will swear to it," 

"That's good, have some time to live before you pop a few out," She winked. "How many children do you wish for?" 

"Oh, goodness, do not speak of that just yet,"