Chp. 13: Silk

The following morning, Kendall was engulfed in Romeo and Juliet. 

"O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?" She read. 

"Beautiful," She hears. 

She sighs deeply. "What did I say, once more, about talking to me?" 

Spot opened his mouth but was cut off by a knock on the door. Not just any knock, but it was a fancy knock, a happy sounded knock. 

And Kendall knew that knock. 

"You do not exist," She pushed Spot up the stairs violently, then smoothed herself. 

Making sure you couldn't see him, she moved to open the door. 

"Eric!" She embraced him with a smile. "I was awaiting you, reading--" 

"Let me guess, my love, Romeo and Juliet?" 

"Too clever you are," 

"I know your love for that book is unreal." 

"Yes, I can almost feel the hatred between the Montagues and the Capulets," She emphasized, knowing Spot was listening. 

"William will be home tonight or tomorrow morning, so we won't be alone for too long," She continues. 

"Oh, I pity you so, you've been alone all week," 

"Yes, all alone. Just keeping to myself," She says with an assuring tone. "I received your drawing, and my goodness, Eric, it is art," 

"I wouldn't stretch that far, but art is not enough for what you deserve," 

"It is enough, please." 

She heard a noise from upstairs. 

"Eric, I've been dying to go for a ride. I haven't in a while, and I was waiting to go with your company," 

"I should probably change--" 

"No, no, what you're in is just fine!" She says hurriedly. 

"Then shall you change? Your dress is so beautiful--" 

"No, that isn't necessary. Like Rosaline says, 'a ride in style is a ride of pleasure'" She laughs nervously, taking his hand and leading him outside. She sighed in relief as they approached the barn. 

<>

"And I said in protest: 'Sir, I cannot allow you--" 

She was listening to Eric's story, but she gasped when she saw Spot on the couch near the window. He was waiting for them to get back, a smug look evident on his face. 

"Darling, excuse me, I feel very sick. Can you put the horses away for me? I think I need to rest," She says, pretending to feel light-headed. 

"Yes of course, go sleep. You do look a little pale," 

She quickly walked into the house, Spot watching her as she did. She grabbed his arm, dragging him up the stairs into her room. She locked the door and turned around with an angry look. 

"What part of you do not exist do you not comprehend?!" She whisper-yelled. 

"Ya don't have to whisper, he is outside," He whispered, mocking her. "Besides, if I don't exist, he won't see me," 

She groaned. "You will stay in here from now on until I think of a plan. In the closet, to be exact." 

"What's wrong wit the room I was in?"