Chp. 1: Asheville, NC

Third Person POV

Dearest Bucky,

Brooklyn has stopped selling papers? That's a surprise to us all. Spot's death had a huge impact on New York it seems. I would expect nothing less from him. How's Kenny? 

Well, I can't think of a word to describe it. I don't think it really hit her until a day after we arrived to Asheville. She didn't really process his death it seems, but when she did, she was an emotional wreck. She didn't leave her room for a week. The maids brought her food, but that was all human contact she had. After a week went by, she was out and about a bit, but barely talking. Anne suggested she keep a journal, but I'm not sure what she has been doing. At first, I heard sobs from her room, which is next to mine. Now, I hear nothing. Jack has to knock on her door to make sure she's still alive. Now, eight weeks later, she is back to her old self. Well, not her old self. 

We've been taking classes to make up for lack of education for years. We take them everyday from eight a.m. until three o' clock, when we play polo. It's very entertaining, as you know, I've always been a horse enthusiast. 

I will keep you updated on life here in return for updates of New York. 

Take great care, 

Anthony. 

He sealed the letter in its white envelope, and handed it to Bobby, the house messenger. 

"Anthony!" He hears. 

"Christian, Francis!" 

As a part of their lessons, it was required to call each other their given name. This showed respect toward each other. 

"Have you seen Kendall? It's time for a round of croquet! William requested we all play," Francis says. "I'd hate for her to miss out," 

Their thick Manhattan accents were almost gone without a trace. 

"I do not mean to disappoint, dear brother, but I am afraid I have other matters to attend to," They hear behind them from a small framed, but nicely dressed, Kendall. 

"What other matters are you referring to?" 

"Lunch with Aunt Anne to greet the new business partners of Uncle William's." 

"Sounds extremely entertaining," Christian grins. 

"It is," She smiles with her glossed over lips. "Good luck against Uncle William," 

She bids them farewell with a small finger salute, turning on her heel. She had grown to love her petticoat twirling when she does that. She heard their afternoon shoes on the marble floor of the Grand Hall, but not over her heeled lace boots. 

On her way to the dining parlor, the enormous windows in the study overlooked the fields where she already saw William warming up. 

"Ah, Kendall dear!" Aunt Anne greeted her. "Meet Olivia Buckley, her husband, Henry, and their eldest son and almost-business partner, Eric." 

"Pleasure to meet you," She held out her hand. 

"Pleasure's all mine," Eric kissed the top of her hand. 

Her eyes quickly averted from his to her aunt's. 

"I believe the croquet game is almost commencing! Shall we spectate?" 

"What about lunch, Aunt Anne?" Kendall asks. 

"Surely the Buckley's would rather be entertained first. Then, we can have lunch with my husband and the children,"