Chp. 17: Reading Out Loud, Thinking Privately

"Aunt Anne made some broth with chicken for you," Rosaline says to Kendall, who's laying in bed, pale as ever.

"Tell her I thank her greatly," Her voice is hoarse. Her limbs are weak from sickness, and she frowns. "It just saddens me that I can't partake in the activities,"

"Eric is sad too," 

"Yes, well, I wish I could feel better," 

"I'll leave you to sleep," 

"You have a glint in your eye," Rosaline says out loud. "You must be oozing of love and excitement of the wedding," 

"A glint in my eye?" 

"Yes, like the one you tell the twins about. The one where you can tell someone is experiencing that feeling," 

"I recall, but I do not feel any different," 

"Alright," Rosaline winks, leaving the room. 

Kendall sits up to eat her soup, surrounded in blankets and pillows. She's hot and cold at the same time, and it frustrates her deeply. 

"Need help, doll face?" 

"How clever of you, come when I can't move to injure you," She slowly eats the soup. 

Spot reaches for the spoon, but Kendall slaps his hand. 

"Really? You're stealing food from a--" 

"I was goin' ta try and help you eat it," 

"By eating it for me?" She furrows her eyebrows. He scoffs. 

"By feeding it to you," 

Her cheeks flush, or maybe it's the sickness. 

"I-I'm not a child, I can eat my food myself," 

He chuckles, and fiddles with things around her room. 

"So, why are you here again?" 

"I dunno," He says, picking up a book. "What's this?" 

"That," She takes it from his hands. "Is my favorite book," 

"Does your favorite book gotta title?" 

"Romeo and Juliet," She replies. 

"What's it about?" He sounds generally interested, sitting next to her bed. 

"Well, it's a bit complicated--" 

"I's listenin'," 

She sighs. "Alright. It's about two families, long time rivals. The Montagues and the Capulets. Romeo sees Juliet and instantly falls in love with her, and she him. They must find a way to successfully marry each other so that they can--it's complex." 

"Nothin' complicated 'bout that. They gotta see each other, so they do it in secret, right? They just can't stay away from each other because of how much they love each other?" 

"Yes, that's correct, actually." 

She looks up from the book and down at Spot, who's grinning from ear to ear. She scoffs. 

"Read it," 

"W-What?" 

"Read the book," He says slowly. "I know ya like to read it out loud," 

"I don't think you'll be able to comprehend--" 

"Pretend I's not here, then." 

"Lord knows I'm good at that," She mutters. He rolls his eyes. 

"I just wanna hear you read it," 

"Fine," She huffs, opening the cover. "Two households, both alike in dignity...."

She read on to scene two, but she suddenly hears footsteps. 

"Darling, I have wonderful news!" 

"Eric! Don't come in!" She says hoarsely. 

"Why, my dear?" 

She looks at Spot nervously. He motions to her body, and she gets the message. 

"I'm, um, not dressed," 

"Oh, my apologies," 

"No, it's perfectly fine." 

She points to the closet where Spot reluctantly goes, rolling his eyes. 

"You can come in now," 

Eric steps in with flowers. 

"I saw these and thought you should have them," He smiles. "Now, the good news. We have officially rented the space for the wedding. It will be held on April 21st," 

"Wow, that-that's amazing, darling!" She hugs him from where she's sitting. 

"I know! Now, we can send out invitations as soon as possible," He stands up straight. "We will get started as soon as possible," 

Eric kisses her forehead, and steps out of the room. 

Spot comes out, and Kendall sighs. 

"Congratulations," 

She looks at him. 

"You don't mean it," 

He simply looks at the window, and exits the room. She furrows her eyebrows, grabs a pillow, and screams into it. 

"Okay, Kendall, pull it together. You have a wedding in two months." 

<><><>

"I'm glad you are feeling better," Anthony says. 

"Me as well," 

"Although, you look different," 

"I do?" 

"Your eyes," He says. "They are lit up in an odd way," 

She looks at the ground. "It must be the wedding," 

"Must be," 

He looks at her with a long pause. If only he was good at reading Kendall. He used to read her like a big sign, but now, her emotions and thoughts were guarded by a large brick wall.

"Well, let us find Rosaline for lunch with Eric," 

"Let us," 

<>

"Kendall, what do you think?" 

"Sorry?" 

"New York, we should visit for our honeymoon," Eric says. "Maybe Brooklyn," 

She squinted her eyes. Had he known? Was he aware of Spot's persistent showing up in her bedroom? Oh, no, how should she explain? 

"Why?" She simply says. 

"Anthony says it is very dear to you," He smiles. "I want it to be very special for us," 

"Did he now?" 

Sure, Anthony, she thought. I would love to become one with my husband in the town where I loved--

"I thought you would be keen on the idea. My apologies," 

"No, it's, uh, wonderful!" She smiles very big. Rosaline notices her false smile, but keeps quiet. Maybe it was because of her prior true love's memories that lure there. 

Maybe. 

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

i found time to update!!

thanks for reading:))

im so excited for the future chapters!!

xx

p.s. gross chapter name i couldnt think of anything :P