Chapter Seven-Good People

Start from the beginning

He grabs my hand as he says "you need medicine, and the closest hospital is miles away."

I shake my head as I know what he is trying to get to.

I whine out "Your not going back there, I'll be fine."

He shakes his head in anger at the fact that he can't help me. 

He then picks me back up and starts to run more away from their base.

I daze in and out until we get to a large farm. We go to the small house and James puts me down protectively behind him as he knocks on the door. An older man in about his fifties opens the door up with a shotgun pointed at us.

James throws his hands up and says "sir I'm sorry for bothering you but my girlfriend is very sick and needs help."

The man starts to speak as I feel my body collapse and I hit the ground. As I'm laying on my back I see James and the man standing over me.

The man says something to James that I can't make out.

James carefully picks me up bridal style and carries me into the house.

The man, his wife, and their son and daughter start to clear room to put me down on a bed.

The old man looks at us and says "My names Jeremiah, this is my wife, Katherine, my daughter Sophia, and my son Jackson."

James looks down at me and says "my names James, and this is Rebecca."

Jeremiah asks James what injuries I have and he then starts to list them off to Jeremiah.

Jeremiah takes scissors and cuts my shirt and my pants to see my leg wound and bullet wound in my shoulder.

He motions for James to come with him into the other room and I hear them talking.

I feel tired so I close my eyes and I hear James call out to me but I can't open my eyes back up.

James Pov:
As we arrive to a small house on a farm I can tell Rebecca isn't well and I have no other choice than to ask for help. I put her down as we get to the front door and stand in front of her to protect her from any further injury that could come as I knock. An older man opens the door and has a shotgun pointed at us. I tell him that she needs help and just as he is about to speak I hear her collapse behind me. I quickly turn around and kneel down to her.

The old man tells me to bring her inside and that he was a medic in the military. I scoop my beautiful angel into my arms and I carry her in. I lay her down onto a bed and he asks what injuries she has. After I tell him he cuts her shirt and pants open to see what's causing the problem. He then walks into the other room wanting me to follow.

I follow him and he says "that is a gunshot wound, if y'all are bringing trouble you need to leave, I will not risk my family's safety...."

I cut him off by saying "Sir, we are running from bad people, yes, but I beg you just help her then we will leave, please."

He looks down to think for a minute then says "I will see what I can do, but once I do everything I need you need to leave."

I quickly nod my head and reply with "yes sir" as he walks back into the room where she's at.

I walk in and I see she's unconscious as I run over to her.

Jeremiah checks her out and then says "she has a nasty infection, I'll give her some medication and some fluids and redress her wounds."

"She needs some rest, I'll get Jackson to put a cot in here for you."

I thank him as he puts an IV in her arm to pump some fluids into her so she doesn't get dehydrated.

Jeremiah's wife, Katherine enters the room and asks me if I would like something to eat. I look over at her and I realize that I don't want to eat if she can't eat.

Katherine seems to notice my hesitation and she says "Rebecca needs you to be strong for her, you can't be strong when there's no food in you."

I nod my head in defeat and give my angel one last kiss on the head before exiting the room. She leads me to the kitchen we're their daughter, Sophia I believe is eating an egg and some meat. Katherine motions me to sit down at the table as she puts a plate down with the same thing Sophia has.

Sophia looks to be about ten or so and is happily eating her food. Their teenage looking son Jackson walks by with the cot into Rebecca's room. I scarf down my food and drink the glass of water I was given then quickly he'd back to my angel.

I see Jackson putting blankets on the cot and Jeremiah is checking Rebecca's vitals.

Jeremiah finishes what he is doing then says "she should sleep through the night, and so should you."

They exit the room and I walk over to Rebecca and hold her small cold hand in my large warm hand.

Nobody can even come close to understanding how much I love her.

I just hope she doesn't have the nightmares, that Aaron was talking about.

He said that she would scream and fight in her sleep trying to get away from something or someone. It angers me that I can't help her or even kill the demon in her dreams but I'll have to suffice with loving her unconditionally.

After kissing her on the head I lay down on the cot and close my eyes for some well needed rest.

Just as my dreams take me away from the war I hear the sound of vehicle doors slamming outside.

Jeremiah comes running into the room and says "The mercenaries are here, you need to get out of here right now."

I pick up Rebecca after taking the IV out and follow him to the back door. He puts the pills for her in my pocket as I thank him once again.

He nods and says "good luck."

I turn around and run into the woods as fast as my legs will carry me.

It's still dark outside so I couldn't have been asleep for long but the blackness helps us to make our getaway.

To my dismay I trip on something that I don't see sending Rebecca flying out of my arms.