"I am willing to let you walk on my pack territory without being carried. This does not apply to when we visit other territories, but while you are on Blood Lake land, as long as you have an escort, you will be allowed to go where you please on our land." His face remained impassive, not giving anything away.

I narrowed my eyes. What's the catch? I asked, not trusting his words at face value.

"No catch, I promise. Our borders are impenetrable. I trust that you will remain safe on our land, especially when factoring in your ability to protect yourself, coupled with guards I will assign to you." He promised, but I remained unsure.

What made you change your mind?

"I almost killed my mate due to my own stubbornness and inflexibility. If this agreement is what it takes for you to stop trying to escape, then I am willing to make the tradeoff, despite the many years of tradition we would be breaking." His eyes were overtaken with guilt. If I knew taking the whippings was all it took to get me my freedom, I would have taken them weeks ago.

Even though I remained suspicious and wasn't sure if he would keep his word, I told him amenably, Fine. I won't escape.

"I just have two stipulations," Alpha Cain began, and I snorted. So much for there not being a catch. "You cannot train with the other wolves. If you feel like you need someone to spar against, you will do so against me. That is nonnegotiable with my wolf, and I agree with him." I paused, before nodding. I would take what I could get for now, but I was fairly confident I could change his mind later on. "The second condition is that you make the attempt to accept your Luna position. I understand it may take awhile for you to love me back, but at least work with me here."

I searched his eyes, weighing my choices, before finally nodding in agreement. Cain smiled, looking pleased that we were able to come to an agreement. If he was always this willing to compromise with me, I may not hate this place so much.

"Let's take you back to home. The doctor gave me an ointment to apply on you twice a day, but other than that, the worst of the healing process is over with." His face was still riddled with guilt. I hated it. I hate people looking at me like they feel sorry for me, especially because most of my scars were from situations that I was the catalyst for. It's not like hunting rogues is risk-free.

I nodded, and reached my arms up, waiting for him to pick me up. His countenance contorted in confusion. "You don't want to walk yourself? I was positive you would want to test ride your newfound freedom."

Oh, right. I was so used to him carrying me, I acted out of instinct. I threw my legs over the side of the hospital bed, and jumped to the ground. However, my legs were so weakened from not moving for two weeks, that I would have crumpled completely to the ground if it were not for Alpha Cain grabbing me by my shoulders to steady me.

"Okay, pup, I changed my mind. You'll get your freedom back tomorrow," He chuckled, picking me up into his arms as he stood up from the side of the hospital bed. He grabbed a fur pelt from one of the chairs in the room and I frowned as he placed it over me.

This isn't the same pelt, I remarked.

Alpha Cain's eyes cast to the side, his voice thick with grief. "The other one was soaked in blood. It was unfixable. I made you a new one."

I nodded. It was much nicer, a completely black fur that was much thicker than the last one. It's nice, I muttered appreciatively.

His eyes brightened at the compliment, and he looked pleased by my appreciation of the quality. "Well you were, um, indisposed, I went hunting and came across a large black bear. The biggest one I've ever seen, actually."