Chapter 10: A Look

Start from the beginning

"You and I are taking a day trip with the band."

"Umm, no. I can't I have tons of homework." Liar.

"It can wait. The guys and I need to properly welcoming you to our group. So come on, back in." Without even getting out of the elevator, Daryl presses the button and both of them head down stairs where she just came from and out to the van that is parked by Daryl's motorcycle, who she just realized is called Brewskis, by the tag on the back fender.

Packing the things in the back, Daryl quickly opens Beth's door before she can.

"My lady." He ushers her in and her cheeks become warm and red from the gesture. Once in the van, Daryl drives them out of town and towards the mountains.

"Where exactly are we going?" Looking around the car for a clue, Beth spots a picture on the dashboard of Daryl and an older woman with grey hair.

"Uh uh, can't tell ya sweetheart. Jus gonna have to see for yerself." Picking up the picture Beth can tell she isn't his mother by their faces and the way he's holding her.

"Who's this?" Holding it so Daryl can see, he grabs it from her and puts it in the glove compartment.

"No one. A friend. So you run every morning?"

"Um, not really. Mostly when I need to clear my head. I thought the guys were coming?" She gives him a sideways glance and he scratches his long hair above his right ear and then focuses back on the road.

"They are... they jus need to get some things and Rick'll bring em out."

"Who's Rick?"

"My best friend from when I was lil. He's one if my roommates. Has a girlfriend named Michone, who's always over and stuff. So you live with Bob and Sasha?"

"Yeah, they're cool. Met her brother Tyreese today. Also live with Shane..." Daryl gives her a scolding glance and them shakes it off. Beth can't tell if he's mad, or bothered.

"He round a lot?"

"Well, not really, usually off with his fraternity brothers and stuff." Daryl seems to be white-knuckling the steering wheel and Beth can only assume he's still sleeping with Andrea.

"Good. You really need to stay away from him. He's not a good guy Beth. You need to know that."

"I'm not prejudging anyone Daryl. So far he seems nice and so is everyone else. I'm not gonna condemn anyone until I know them by my own experiences." She tries not to sound snotty, but it comes out through her tone and posture- folded arms and crossed legs.

"What's he been sayin' bout me?" Daryl seems to becoming defensive an Beth looses herself.

"Same thing yer saying about him. Listen, I have to live with him and you also. I'm not flip flipping every time I have to be with the other. So if you don't wanna know, don't ask."

"Fine. I don't wanna know anyway. Jus another asshole anyway."

"Who? Him... or you?" He glares at Beth from the corner of his eye and ten his eyebrows lower and become sad.

"Never mind."

Driving south on the interstate, Daryl eventually gets off and heads toward a forested glen. When he finally stops, Beth can see a small course, splattered with bright neon paint all over.

"Wow." That's all she can say and Daryl just chuckles an unbuckles himself and then her.

"Hope you like paintball."

"I... I never played before."

"Seriously? You have to be joking." He gives her an astonished look and she just bounces in her seat.