Chapter 1

This chapters a little slow, but lots is revealed! I put this story as a slight AU, due to the turtles being a little OOC (out of character) as you can probably tell in this chapter or the future chapters coming up. Also wanted to give a thanks to all the support, such as reviews, favorites and follows. It means a lot to me :).

By the way, any goofs or typos are my mistake, I don't have a Beta, haha.

Rustling through the garbage, Mikey was running out of patience. After going through two dumpsters in the alley next to some pharmacy stores, they couldn't find anything out of their luck.

"Anything bro?" Leo shouted, looking at an old watch he carried with him. Splinter didn't like it when they were out for too long, especially when it was nights they were ambushed.

Their old father worried too much for them, so Leo was trying not to go over their time limit.

"Uhhhh…" Mikey's voice echoed through the graffitied dumpster before pulling his head out of the rummage, "nope." He sighed, pulling out a banana peel from his head in disgust. "Maybe the third one wasn't the one, bros," dropping the peel back into the dump, Mikey jumped out of the garbage.

"Maybe we should call it quits," Leo started, turning his back to his two brothers' in defeat. They didn't go topside often, so they needed to restock as much medicine as they can find. Splinter was too old to go scavenging himself, so the three took over about a year ago.

"Yeah, I agree with Leo, we've been searching for hours! Let's give it a rest and try again tomorrow." Raph replied, shaking his head, "we have better luck tomorrow anyway, inventory comes through and they'll toss expire stuff away. We can come and have Mike dig it up for us." He jabbed his thumb at Mikey, smiling.

"It's always me, huh?" He glared at Raph, sticking his tongue out and shook his head. "but bro's can we please stay topside for a little longer?" He pleaded, looking mostly to Leo with his puppy eyes.

Leo hid his lips in a bitter expression, "Topside?" He asked, his face crinkled in disgust; "why?"

If Mikey could get a nickel at the things they don't have in common, well he wouldn't be living in the sewers and have a nice suite in Manhattan. His two older brothers' were such mother hens sometimes. "I hate being cooped up in that old Lair, it's so fresh out here and there are lights instead of candles. Imagine if we could stay out here until sunrise." He closed his eyes and brought his hands to his chest, humming in glee. He glared Leo, "and you wanna go home? Imagine the fun we can have here!"

His happiness was cut short, "you know how dangerous it is, Mike." Leo told him rolling his eyes, "we can have fun in the lair later, Splinter's sick and he needs us to be there for him."

"Aww, you two are just scared of being out here." Mikey started, watching Raph with a pout as he reached down to open the sewer lid. "Plus, we can keep searching for some meds!"

"We're not scared, Mike, Splinter just feels better knowing we're home." Raph said, and Mikey sighed loudly, his two brothers sounded identical sometimes.

This time, he couldn't argue, Splinter always had this fear in him about his sons and Mikey couldn't blame the old guy. It sucked though, to have a feeling that someone was out to get them; he nodded glumly to whatever Raph was saying.