Prologue

So many mistakes, Papyrus regretted so many of his actions.

It had started on the surface. After the barrier was destroyed once and for all, he thought the surface was going to be a fresh start for everyone. It was supposed to be amazing!

That is, until he screwed up.

Over the couple of months that passed after the large event, he was constantly busy. After all, he was finally achieving his dreams! That required a lot of work from the Great Papyrus.

But maybe the Great Papyrus wasn't so great without his brother.

He will fully admit now that he missed his dear brother. However, before, he didn't want to admit he missed the puns and lazy attitude. It was hard to, after all, since he had spent years telling Sans he did not enjoy them, so he didn't want to give in. Papyrus didn't like admitting defeat.

That was a mistake on his part.

Over the years, he had noticed Sans was a bit of an introvert. Papyrus had to drag him out of the house to meet his friends, and he was happy when Sans had made great friends with Alphys. Since the yellow lizard had worked at his same job, just on the other side, he assumed they talked often, so he threw himself into his life. It was Toriel who forced everyone to gather at her house to help get them out of work.

She, too, made just as many mistakes.

Toriel didn't send Sans a text to come over. She had intended to, of course, but she got distracted by grading papers at her school, so distracted that she never sent the text. And she forgot about the skeleton, until Papyrus had mentioned that his brother wasn't there. Toriel, embarrassed by her mistake, lied and said Sans was too busy and that he couldn't come.

Of course, Toriel later regretted it. They all did. Sans was never too busy for family, even when Papyrus was younger, Sans would set aside everything for him. That's why Papyrus decided to not call Sans, his brother was finally getting a life away from constantly taking care of his brother, he must have been ecstatic to be free from him! And Papyrus felt as if he might have forced the other friendships onto his dear brother as well, so he didn't do anything when Alphys and Undyne mentioned they don't talk to him much either. Sans was just living his own life was all.

Sans called, sometimes claiming it was a buttdial, other times saying he wanted to talk to Papyrus. But Papyrus always felt like he might be intruding on Sans who could have been busy, or that Papyrus was often busy himself when Sans called, so he told Sans they would talk later every call.

But "later" never came.

Undyne then proposed to Alphys, and everyone was so happy for them they had just forgotten that a certain friend wasn't there. Papyrus wanted to call his brother, but decided he would the next day, as it was growing rather late. The call never happened, since as soon as he was awake, Undyne called him to ask if he would be her best man, and he was so caught off guard his brother slipped from his mind. And so, his brother stayed off his mind until he found the Fluffy Bunny book in a box, remaining unpacked. Papyrus unpacked that box and ended up leaving it on the floor, as he had more work to do.

It was at the mall when he realized his mistakes. He just assumed Sans knew, so it had confused him when the skeleton ran off crying. Then, on the phone with his friend, Papyrus didn't want to admit it, but...

He was kind of jealous.

This teenage boy had a better relationship with Sans than Papyrus did. Papyrus, Sans' own brother! He had made mistakes, and that's why he made sure to remind Toriel to go ask Sans to join them for dinner.

Seeing Sans show up for the first time made Papyrus so happy! They could reconnect, Papyrus had so many stories to tell him! He even set up an extra bed in his room so Sans could stay the night, and they could remember the good old days and catch up with one another! Sans could even read him Fluffy Bunny, just like old times! Alphys had even told Papyrus that she wanted to make Sans her best man, since they had been friends for years, and it was only right.