18. This Isn't You

I woke up the next morning to the sound of my phone vibrating on the bedside table. Half of Ashton's body was on top of mine, the other half sprawled out on the other side of the bed. He stirred when I reached for my phone. 'Travis' flashed across the caller ID and I groaned, sliding out of bed.

"Hello?" I answered quietly. Ashton's head shot up at my voice, his mop of red hair an absolute mess.

"Where the hell are you, Violet?! I've been calling for an hour!" He yelled.

"I'm fine, Travis. Chill out." I sighed.

Ashton sat up, a look of amusement on his face as he ran his hand through his hair, trying to tame it.

"Why didn't you come home last night?! I thought you were dead!"I rolled my eyes, pacing back and forth.

"I stayed at a friend's last night. You're starting to sound like Mom. Can you tone it down?"

Ashton snickered and I put a finger to my lips, telling him to be quiet.

"Well excuse me for caring. I called Ethan and he thought you came home. What was I supposed to do? Not give a sh!t?" He asked.

"Travis, I'm 24 years old. I'm not stupid. You've got to stop acting like I'm still a teenager." I huffed.

He sighed deeply. "You're still my sister. Who's place did you stay at?"

"Does it really matter? I'm not dead, no one kidnapped me, I didn't even drink last night." I replied, trying to avoid the question.

"I know you didn't stay at Ethan's. You're at Ashton's, aren't you?"

"I have friends other than Ethan, Travis."

"Why won't you answer the question?" He asked.

"Because I'm an adult and it's none of your business!" I shot back, my voice getting higher with frustration."

"Well you were at that party last night for the guys, so unless you went home with that guy you were talking to then you've gotta be at Ash--"

"Wait, excuse me? What guy?" I cut him off, even more annoyed now.

"Ethan said you were hanging out with that guy, Charlie, so--"

"WHY are you questioning Ethan about me?! You guys need to butt out! I'm done with this conversation, I can't talk to you anymore right now." I sighed.

"He's just trying to make sure you're safe, too. Don't be dramatic, Violet."

"I'm not being dramatic, I'm trying to grow up and for some reason you won't let me!" I shouted.

"I'm just trying to protect you! You were sheltered growing up, you don't understand how the world can be sometimes. This isn't Tennessee. L.A. is totally different." He replied.

I groaned loudly. "You know what, Travis? I did stay at Ashton's last night. And there's nothing you can do about it because I'm. An. Adult."

"Viole--"

"No. I'm over this conversation." I said sternly before hanging up and throwing my phone down on the bed.

Ashton was watching silently, his eyes wide from my confession to Travis. I huffed, throwing myself down on the bed face first and I heard him chuckle.

"Come here." He said, pulling me up and over to him.

"Can you believe that? Ethan is like his minion or something! I can't believe he would do that!" I said angrily. "I'm so sick of this. I thought going on tour would show him that I can handle myself."