11 | Speak Up

Later never happened.

I didn't hear from Leo that day or the next day. By the next day after that, I was thinking about calling him myself.

But then I realized that was what he wanted. To keep me in this stupid game of cat and mouse. I was doing fine before I saw him at the park and I could be fine again.

So, as spring break was drawing to an end and Darcy would be coming home in the next day, I decided to continue living my best life and make the most of the time I had left.

To start my final day alone, I needed to head to the bank to withdraw some money for the week. My lovely little beater roared to life with the turn of my key and in a moment, I was off. The warm weather didn't last at all and once again, I had to be in a full jacket-scarf-glove combo.

Stupid groundhog.

I pulled into the parking lot and groaned at the cars that were already parked there. What was it with old people and being at the bank so early in the morning? I walked into the bank, sighed at the long queue and then made eye contact with the older cop hanging around in the back who smiled at me.

I gave him a partial smile back before going to one of the tables to fill out a withdrawal slip.

While I stood in line—waiting forever because the one counter was closed, the next had a patron who couldn't understand how he'd overdrafted his account, the third had an old woman who was talking about all that was going on with her three children and five grandchildren, and the last was the only one moving at a reasonable speed, but I was sure someone soon would hold it up again—Mr. Harris walked in and immediately began chatting as loud as ever to the on-duty cop.

Mr. Harris was one of those townsfolk that everyone knew because he made sure to be known by everyone.

"I cannot believe the news right now," Harris told him and the cop gave him a nod in understanding, "I don't care what that video looks like, Scott is a good man. That thug had it coming. Serves him right for the way he was acting."

I had absolutely no idea what Harris was going on about, but just the mention of him calling someone a thug drew my full attention.

Harris, although old, was quick on his feet and a very involved senior citizen. He turned around then, scanning the line to—what I presumed—see any familiar faces. Although I knew him, I was sure he didn't actually know me by name which was such a blessing.

"Good morning, Sally." Harris called a woman further ahead of me in line. She smiled back.

"Morning. It's an absolute shame what's going on in the news right now. That video was just far too graphic. Now this town is probably going to be covered all across the nation." She responded and the gears in my brain started turning.

Something happened in town that would get national coverage? Something that everyone, but me, already knew about?

"I feel bad for Scott and his family right now. I've known him for years and he's always been an amazing officer to this town." Another old man chimed in.

Harris hummed his agreement, "I'm sure Johnny will make a statement on his behalf. I just wonder if that new rookie partner of his will say something. What do you think?" Harris adjusted his focus to the police officer who'd been mostly quiet.

"I personally don't know enough of the details, but the captain will fill us in soon enough."

"Do you think that man will die?" Sally asked and my heart sank.

Although I didn't have all the pieces of this story together, I could gather that something bad happened between a cop and a man, and he might die? And if I knew this town well enough, there was only one new rookie Mr. Harris could've been referring to.