To set alight my already exhausted patience, I cannot ask her what is going on. Her second brother, Michael Ruche, is acting as a big looming guard dog, that keeps getting in the way of any guys trying to talk to her. His eyes gleam at me with admiration, but also a strong desire for admiration.

It's petty.

I tried to ignore it and entertained him for a little while to get close to Magdalin, but he didn't budge. If anything, he got even more cautious when I tried and excused both of them quickly. Purposely drawing her away from me. No matter how you look at it, it's suspicious.

I shift my weight to lean onto the white railing of one of the balconies overlooking the palace gardens. I claw at the white stone and let my eyes follow Magdalin and her brother touring the greenery peacefully.

Something is definitely wrong.

Yet, Magdalin isn't giving me a look for help.

It makes my skin crawl with frustration as though I've been locked in a cage.

Even if we have to leave for the negotiations tomorrow, it just isn't soon enough.

I'd never thought I'd be so annoyed with having the role of a man... but changing back to the role of Lily is just too dangerous. I end up gritting my teeth as I watch them closely. If he's doing something to Magdalin then I'm putting him on the front line when we deal with House Salender.

No, perhaps I should just do so either way.

"If you glare at the poor guy like that he will end up with a heart attack, Augustus," Wolfram speaks up behind me with a hint of worry in his voice.

I narrow my eyes at Michael one last time before glancing behind me where I find Wolfram and Eric approach me. The two of them have been getting closer since the battle.

"You don't need to worry too much, Augustus. It's probably just a security measure because of the rumors that started going around," Eric says to calm me down as I let my gaze shift back to Magdalin's small petite figure.

"Probably. I just can't shake the feeling that something is off."

That's right, the rumors that Magdalin is a child switched at birth has started swirling around court, even among the men. You have no idea how long it took me to pull this truth out of Magdalin when I asked her why her family was mistreating her.

Yes, mistreating.

Both Kenta and I grew up with physical punishments, but never something like that. What Magdalin goes through is lack of composure from her parents.

Of course, this is my personal opinion, and not one shared by the culture here. Their corporal punishment is quite different from that of my old world, but what is in common is that none bat an eye if the family goes a bit too far.

I'm worried that what Magdalin is going through will get worse because of the rumors. Children switched and found out will not have a safe life. Especially in my own world. I just hope it isn't the same here.

"Mmmm you sure are fond of her, Augustus. I heard she even took care of you when you were passed out."

Wolfram decides to test my patience, and with a lack of patience, I nearly bite. Curiosity gleams in his teal eyes as I snap my head in his direction, feeling my stomach churning.

"Another word in that direction and it will cost you, Wolfram. Miss Magdalin's sweetheart is Milet Greenhall. The son of Count Greenhall," I growl out at him. I know it isn't nice and polite, but he wasn't exactly being nice or considerate of the situation. Magdalin is going through enough already. Dealing with rumors of sleeping with a man despite being unmarried is the last thing she needs right now, especially with someone like Augustus. Women can be so petty.