164 - Peace Talks - Part 2

Lily's Point of View

I stare down at the hand Catarina holds out to me. How many breaches of etiquette does this make? In addition to that, Catarina is a woman, and thus unable to escort another lady.

...just... take as a test by the gods.

"Princess Catarina. Lady Lily is my partner for the event. Kindly, mind your manners."

Lionel finally decides to interrupt. He's forcing an awkward smile though the rather obvious irritation, and holds my hand a bit tighter. He even has a cream colored flower brooch attached to his formal uniform to match my dress. There really shouldn't have been any doubt.

...now Catarina glares at him.

"Like Lily-chan would ever willingly choose to be escorted by a sadist. If it is merely an order of convenience, then it won't matter if she is escorted by me for the entirety of the event."

...

What was that? I think I heard a squiggling cockroach in a whore dress just started hissing?

Remember, kill a cockroach with force and the rest will come running. We are technically surrendering, so I have to endure this royal cockroach for a little while longer.

"I do not have such interests, Princess Catarina," Lionel sneers back at her, clearly losing his patience with her as well.

Of course, Catarina just glares at him without restraint.

"You were made to be like that, no matter how much you hide it you enjoy watching people suf-"

"Lionel."

I cut off Catarina. He's staring at her like he might rip her throat out... unexpectedly, his anger makes me calm down.

"We should go inside, staying here longer would inconvenience those waiting for us inside."

Give Catarina an elegant curtsy.

"Please excuse us, Princess Catarina." Cockroach.

The shock on Catarina's face almost feels satisfying after all of that. At least for a moment.

"Eh?! You're a masochist?!"

How can she even keep this up?!

Lionel takes my hand and puts it on his arm instead, before swiftly leading me more than an arms width around Catarina.

"I suppose Princess Catarina has a rather lively imagination."

Of course Catarina starts puffing up to protest, but this time Emilia intervenes as she walks past Catarina.

"I am tired. Stop trying to seduce Lady Lily, Princess Catarina. Until the treaty is signed, you are still an enemy. Keep this in mind."

I get to get a glance of Catarina's annoyed expression before Lionel and I make it up the stairs. I look back up at Castle Duvin one last time before we step in through the door. Catarina lead me away from it, but the bad feeling I had earlier should I believe that it is really House Salender's spies?

If they knew, then why wouldn't they have killed them already?

A lie?

I step inside Castle Duvin with a knot gathering in my chest.

—-*-—