122 - Between The Lines - Part 2

Lionel's Point Of View

Once lit the beeswax candle casts a gentle warm glow over Lily's bedside. It's not often you see someone sleep on their back, but apparently Lily is one of those. As light fills the area by the light stand she clutches the pendant I gave her tighter and her expression scrunches up in discomfort. She's crawled under the duvet at one point, but you can still see her give a light shudder.

The room had been mostly dark before since the sun is setting, so the sudden change of brightness should stir her awake. Honestly, I came to see if she had gotten something to eat and drink since this morning, but according to Asher she had been asleep the entire time. Going by Asher's words Lily was bound to be in a bad mood as she wakes up, though, I think that is natural for people that wake up sick.

She still looks quite pale, and a bit of her cheeks are flushed red. She's tossed the rag into the bucket at one point, but apparently didn't have the energy to refresh it herself so now it just floats listlessly. Her usually narrowed vicious eyes are relaxed and what is left is just a sweet looking sleeping young girl appearing as though she's in a mild pain as she lays 'defenselessly' on her back. To anyone that doesn't know her she would look innocent and defenseless right now. They'd be wrong of course. The hand not clutching the pendant is right next to her pillow.

If the original Lily had been in her body, then Lily would surely have looked adorable with innocent expressions and wide open eyes, but the Lily in her now is different. While she does always draw this cute face into a vicious or cautious look, that is charming in its own way. Not that she'd want to hear it. Rather, I think she would get honestly angry with being called cute directly. Last time was indirectly, and not intended. She even held the grudge until next morning... well 'grudge'. She wouldn't accept being called 'not cute' either. Like a cat not knowing whether it wants to go inside or not. I never did ask if she was a guy or a girl before being Lily, but after that I'm quite certain she was a girl. Now, back to the person in question, her eyelids eye trembling.

"I'd say you've slept enough, it's about time for you to get something to eat," I say softly. Instead of answering she clutches the pendant I made her tighter and rolls away from the light. She was waking up, right? I watch her sky blue hair slide down over her shoulders as she with a light tug pulls the duvet over her shoulder.

"I'm going to take your temperature," I tell her ahead of time and stand up to reach over her to her forehead. As I expected at this point, she's still burning up. Sadly, it's worse than this morning. Her lake spirit is floating around over her head calmly and simply watches over her, but judging by her forehead being moist, it has probably attempted to routinely keep her forehead cold as well.

Hearing shuffling by the door I note Asher and the maid talking hushedly. He looks cautious, but the maid looks thoroughly amused. She seems to take notice of my gaze and smiles wider at the attention. She whispers something to Asher and then looks back to me.

"I'll be right back milord," she hums out and walks off in the best mood I've ever seen her in since we took her in. She looked so bored before... Asher follows her with his eyes, a bit tense and uncomfortable, but not aggressive. The bodyguard language for 'I cannot tell if she is trouble or not'. I'll leave that to him while I take care of Lily, but I should keep my guard up just in case.

When I look back to Lily I find her sky blue eyes glaring up at me with this look as though she's plotting all the ways she can get rid of me... even while being curled up in a bed sick from fever she apparently doesn't want help. I could maliciously comply and leave her be, but I've endured enough glares from her that I'm just about used to it anyway, she probably just doesn't want to be seen when she's feeling weak.